ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#111357 11/16/06 01:34 AM
J
JJM Offline OP
Here are some pics of a pair of commerical gas fired hot water heaters I personally wired up today all by myself:

[Linked Image from mysite.verizon.net]

This should pass inspection - no problem right? Ran out 3-2 adapters on this job so I just removed the grounding pin on the other cord. Besides, who needs adapters?

This one was having trouble staying running. All that was needed was a wiring "adjustment". Besides, who needs those silly flame roll-out sensors anyways.

The only thing I may need help from you guys with is what those wires are for. I think I'll leave them exposed like that, for everyone to admire my quality work.

Okay, I know the neat and workmanlike manner in which I installed this water softner must have taken your breath away! But don't be jealous folks, one day when you get your masters electrician license you might come close... but for now, watch and learn.

Of course, everything works perfectly. I even wired in a "custom" safety system... anytime you turn the light off in the room the power automatically cut to the water heaters and softeners. Hint: The extension cord is connected to a bulb adapter. I know I shouldn't give away my trade secrets, but in the interest of "educating" the folks here...

Joe

P.S. Could a moderator move this post to the photos section as appropriate? I'm not authorized to post there.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

This thread has been moved from the general discussion forum.

This is NOT the way that threads get started in the photos sections.

I'm not authorized to post there.
There are reasons for that, as we've stated repeatedly for years now.

In the future, please email your pictures and any text you would like to accompany them to one of the moderators listed in the appropriate section, or send them to the Webmaster.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-16-2006).]

N
look on the bright side, maybe the place will burn down and then this will all get fixed. Also, whats all that brown gunk on the water heaters? Is that just rusty water or something else. Either way, that whole heap is just a mess.

I personally wired up today all by myself

Please tell me that this is staged, or a cruel, sick joke, or the work of a handyman.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 11-19-2006).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
J
JJM Offline OP
Electure, my apologies for the incorrect protocol, partly my ignorance being a "newbie" here.

The only reason I posted this way is I remember moderators and admin got mad over users requesting to have pics posted. I just thought this way would be easier... setting up the post with the image codes and using my own server space, instead of hogging up ECNs space. But my apologies nonetheless.

As for the the water heaters, it's no joke. What's worse is their only complaint is the water heaters were shutting down when the lights were turned off, and all they wanted was the lighting to be rewired so a switch couldn't be used. Work was refused (too much money) to run a circuit for the water heaters and softner in EMT and three seperate single outlet NEMA-20 outlets... and bring an HVAC guy in to set the water heaters up properly... rewire, reinstall/check safeties, testing of gas pressure, draft, combustion testing, and so forth.

I'm done, letter is going out for my files.

Joe

N
HOT water heater??? If the waters hot why does it need to be heated?

Sorry I could not resist, have that prob. whenever hear a water heater refered to as a "hot water heater". [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
JJM, we love to post pics; that's what makes ECN special!

What we like is to have a moderator post the pics, using the ECN server. When you post the pics yourself, usung 'photobucket' or some other server, ECN cannot guarantee that the pics won't be lost, or written over. This has happened to some of our threads- to everyone's loss.

There are a few technical details, such as picture size, that we like to control. The mods here have done a superb job of editing and sizing my pics, to make them look far better than they really are [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard