ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 523 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#111292 10/19/06 05:12 PM
F
the last time i done that. I did wired the hood lumaires separted from fan circuits due the ansual system and yeah i did see a braided steel cable tied to spring loaded gas valve for cooking equmenit.

( that place i did work on it have both gas and electric breaker[shunt breaker type ] tied together ]

Merci , marc

[This message has been edited by frenchelectrican (edited 10-19-2006).]

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#111293 10/19/06 07:23 PM
Bob: (Iwire)
I have to agree with you. Ansul activates gas valve via spring loaded cable; activates shunt trip for ALL electric appliance power; kills MU air; exhaust remains 'ON'.

I've never seen one kill lights or anything but the above.

John

John
#111294 10/22/06 05:27 PM
Cat Servant
I am no expert on these systems. It does seem that there have been some major sode changes relating to them over the past decade- changes made in codes other than the NEC.

In the inspections I've had, 'all possible sources of ignition' was the phrase used. This meant all electric, including the lights, in the hood area.
It may be relevant that the newer hood extinguishing agents are water based- and NOT the dry chemical of earlier days. Manufacturers are phasing out the dry chem systems. Likewise, the extinguisher in the hood area also uses a water-based agent. Besides the old "A,B,C, and D" classifications, there is a new one just for cooking fires.

Some words were heard about the 'hood area' extending 6" beyond the actual hood enclosure. As this was not an issue -no questionable receptacles- I'm not sure if this is a rule or not.
In some areas here, they want the exhaust killed, as well as the make-up air.

So my advice to anyone who is contemplating installing one of these systems to work closely with the fire guy. Best to make the inspector happy on the first visit.

Other observations: The fire guy will have access to special fittings, should you wish to pass a pipe through the hood itself.
The fire guy usually has a mechanically activated valve, but electric ones do exist (mainly on larger pipes).
A kitchen may very well have several different fans. Each hood may have a separate Ansul system, or they may all be on a common system. In other words, it is common to need more than one contactor.
Your circuits may very well come from different panels, and be of different voltages.

Getting back to the pics- I think we can agree that an extension cord, to a receptacle outside the hood, in a place where it will collect moisture, is a poor plan!
Nor is the use of a GFCI a substitute for proper wiring.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard