ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#11123 07/01/02 08:08 AM
M
Bill:
You see thats the problem, you have one man who is going to be wearing at least 4-hats,Electrician,plummer, Hvac, Carpenter, and should know the trades as well as we do.
Put another way when it comes to plumbing I can fix the bathroom tub fawcets, or make a Bookshelf(almost).
What to tell them ? Read and learn all you can in order to do a first rate job. I think there should be some type of oversight panel, under the auspices of the local building department, where if there is any doubt in the Home Inspectors mind at all he has someone to fall back on for help .
It seems to me that that is an awful lot of responsibility for just one person and on his say-so alone a family will base their judgement, just to find out that , oops he made a mistake.
He should be very broad based, know all the fields he is inspecting, that in itself is a tall order, for anybody.

-Mark-

#11124 07/01/02 02:53 PM
P
Inspections of electrical systems in residential buildings seem quite rare here, but on the odd occasions that I've seen such a report, I have to agree with Brian's comment about listing very minor things while overlooking far more serious problems.

I'm afraid that to many people out-of-sight means out-of-mind, and some of the home inspections are very cursory. They might unscrew a couple of light switches and note that the grounding wire is bare (allowed in the past, hardly a big safety issue), but they don't crawl about in the attic and find the maze of spaghetti with broken junction boxes, neutrals crossed from other circuits, etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard