ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#11085 06/26/02 07:25 PM
A
I have a small commercial job that doesn't have any electrical specs with the plans. I use P&S Trademaster Spec Grade devices mostly. They actually seem more rugged than the commercial grade and cost less. Should I use the commercial grade or not.

#11086 06/26/02 08:20 PM
B
I feel using the terms "spec," "specification" and "commercial" grade to rate anything—much less wiring devices—is meaningless and just so much buzzword tripe from cheesy manufacturers and their reps.

Are there any consensus/enforceable standards in North America for wiring-device quality?

#11087 06/26/02 09:40 PM
F
Asked a Hubble rep and he said spec grade hospital grade resepticals are identical except it takes more force to pull the plug on a hospital grade.We have a tool that mesures the tension,if the reseptical fails its replaced.This is a yearly PM done at the hospital i work at.

#11088 06/26/02 09:50 PM
In commercial work, we use "spec" grade devices. (Hubbel). If a brand is specified on the prints or specs, if it's a brand that we are confortable with, that's what we use. If it's "junk" (residential type spec) we get a change order, or the difference is shown to the client.

Sorry, I don't want to preach; if you are comfortable with the P&S devices, use them.

John (HotLine1)

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 06-26-2002).]

John
#11089 06/26/02 10:42 PM
To me, you can't look at a commercial grade device and tell the difference between it, and a spec grade, but you can tell the difference between commercial, spec, and residential. I like commercial grade devices for general use, but if the spec's call for spec or hospital grade, that's what I use.
Devices are manufactured to certain standards, and as frank, so kindly, pointed out there are differences. We may not be able to see the differences with our eyes, but they are there. I have read many spec's, and there is a Federal Spec that I've seen called out many times under the devices section of Division 16. The spec is "WC...." something, and I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Hopefully some of my "bud's" out there can chime in with the rest of the spec.

ReSPECtfully Yourin',
Doc

P.S.
Is "Hotline" anything like the "batphone"? [Linked Image]
The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering taking the Gothum City Master's, and I here Commssioner Gordon is pretty tough on people unless Bruce Wayne gives them the "knod" of approval. [Linked Image]

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#11090 06/26/02 10:47 PM
Hey Guys:
"HotLine" is my company name....not a phone service.

John
#11091 06/26/02 11:27 PM
Hot,
I figured as much. I got your e-mail. My next question would have been, Are you related to Hotlips? And does she have hot legs? Because that would make her a Hottie. Which would get me in trouble with my wife. Then she would deny me some hot s3x.

In the Hot Box,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Link Copied to Clipboard