ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#110485 04/27/06 08:12 AM
From renosteinke

A couple recent discussion threads have discussed the "6 ft. rule" in receptacle placement. This rule has not always been followed- with the result that there are not enough receptacles for modern life.

Here, some enterprising party has put a plug on romex, neatly run it on the surface of the wall, then dipped into the wall to add a receptacle.

The house - duplex- was built in the '40's, and was once associated with a military base. It is wired with the earliest form of romex- no ground wire. What amazes me is that, in all the years since, despite several owners, and numerous "remodels", no one has seen for to update the electrical. Even the "porch light" was run in a similar manner.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
could have been worse, the plug could have been completely omitted and the romex shoved under the plate into the box [Linked Image]

EDIT: misworded/left off some words by mistake

[This message has been edited by Hemingray (edited 04-27-2006).]

Cliff
D
And even a 20a receptacle.

N
Must be fairly recent, given the yellow romex...

T
That's it.... No more Nevada for me.

These players can't even co-ordinate the trim colors.

Yellow Romex... give me a break.

Tesla
T
Here, some enterprising party has put a plug on romex, neatly run it on the surface of the wall, then dipped into the wall to add a receptacle.
That one's gotta be common all over the world! Seen that countless times.

P
Different plugs and receptacles, but the basic principle is all too familiar.

L
The correct way to do this is to pry off the baseboard and run the wiring completely out of sight.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
G
OK guys, uhhh, a MUCH older friend of mine, barely hanging onto life anymore, told me the way some things used to be done.

Anyone who began the trade in a rural area, ahem, some years ago, has seen and is familiar with "Non-metallic extensions". It looks like romex, works like romex, only NO GROUND. Article 342 in the 99 code.

Older, and especially rural, houses, had a single outlet somewhere in the room, if you were lucky. You ran this stuff along baseboards, much like phone cable and either surface mounted a box, or like the one in the pic, you popped into the wall and flush mounted.

This stuff is thermoplastic in nature, and even though it looks ugly in the pic, it's probably still just fine. Though I do agree if you've remodeled it's a pity it wasn't replaced.

Except for a few minor violations, there's really nothing wrong with the install provided it IS NM extension.

At least....THAT'S what the old guy I know says, but what does he know????? [Linked Image]

R
I spent the better part of last week pulling wire at the folks house.

I'm a young punk so I haven't seen every variation of Romex so help me on this. Most of my father's house has regular white NM 12-2 with ground...with all the ground wires having a green jacket; not bare When I stripped it off the ground was only 14ga.

I also noted no paper like the stuff today and talc was used inside the wire. It looked just like UF but was labeled NM; the jacket was really thick. The 12-3 was the same way...except the outer jacket was blood red (not from my cuts) and the wire was flat about 1" wide by 1/8" thick. My father wired the house. He noted that the new 12-3 I was pulling was round. He'd never seen anything like it. Funny if you think about it.

I've never seen this style wire anywhere else. This house was built in the late 60's. I've only really worked in homes that have knob and tube or that nice pretty colored romex I've run across that weird silver and black stuff a few times.

I guess I really have't lived.

RSlater
RSmike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard