ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
In Ohio, the power company (AEP) supplies meter cans to the contractors. At least I think - I have been told that they do and that they don't and no one seems to know for sure which it is...anyone here have any clues?

Happi,
They used to do that here in Houston, but with deregulation they don't supply them anymore. Call your PoCo, and ask. Good Luck.

Consider me Deregulated,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
G
In Oklahoma the power companies supply the cans.

I just drop by to ask for temp service at the job site and ask for a can while I am there.

A
It varies in every juridiction I work in. One gives you the can and you MUST use it. One makes you buy the can from them. One will allow any type of can (meter/disco combos and such) and will give you one. And one will give you a can but you have to sign for it. I deal with four different PoCos and all of them have different rules to play by. The even have different service requirements. Call your poco and be thankful you only have one!

M
Happi-
In Eastern Ohio, they used to but Ohio edison hasnt done that in about 10 years, But, anything 400 amps and up they supply, for a nominal deregulation charge. In fact they now charge for everything, 200 dollars for a revamp reconnect, and thats if its on a 3-day basis, they used to put poles in for a service relocation, not anymore those are 1500 dollars a pole.
Any work outside the Norm call and check with your local power provider otherwise you could get stuck with a huge bill .
The de-regulation horror stories are just beginning to come it. This will get worse before it will get better for sure.

-Mark-

From NJ; GPU(JCP&L) does not supply equipment (residential/light commercial), you buy approved equipment. (meter pans; CT cabinets) They only supply CT's and CT meter pans.
PSE&G supplies single and three phase meter pans; 100 to 320 amps single phase; 200 amp 3 phase (self contained) If you have a CT job, you buy the CT cabinet; they supply the meter pan, and the CT's. Over 800 amp, 3 phase, you buy switchboard, and they supply CT's and meter pan. It must be approved!

John (HotLine1)

John
John (Hotline1),
Does the PoCo there have a good set of standards that you can refer to for approved equipment, or do you rely on your suppliers to provide you with approved equipment?

Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Link Copied to Clipboard