ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#110056 01/15/06 12:26 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Imagine a building with two sections each with it's own service. Now, to the right of that building, an addition is made. Power for this addition is brought from the unit on the left, passing clear through the (now) middle unit.

In an earlier thread, you saw this pipe- the one bringing 100 amps to the new unit- being used as a clothes rack.

These pics show what passed for "distribution equipment" in the addition. The 100 amp feeder ends in the lower 4-11 box, where it is wire-nutted to continue on, as well as several #12 circuits branching off to serve the lights and receptacles.

Breakers? Overload protection? Access to the panel in the other unit? No, No, and No. Even where someone had an idea, and put in a fused disconnect, the line side is double-tapped.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 01-14-2006).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#110057 01/16/06 06:26 PM
E
#12 branch circuits are "protected" at 100 amps?!?!?!?!? That's completely ridiculous and irresponsible, I hope whoever did this has good liability insurance, if there's ever a short in one of those #12 branch circuits it ain't gonna be pretty.

#110058 01/17/06 12:16 PM
Well, I don't think that's it exactly. A good ground fault or short circuit will blow the 100 amp fuse just as surely as a 20 amp fuse. The real danger is in not being able to limit the load current in the #12 wired circuits to 20 amps or less (ignoring the 80% rule for the moment). Try running 40, 50 or more amps thru #12 wire and watch it heat up to dangerous levels, then we'll get that ground fault when the insulation melts off the wire.

Also - I doubt this installer has any liability insurance - or any prior experience with electrical work.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#110059 01/17/06 04:06 PM
M
Looking at the second photo, there are a couple of double-lugged conductors on legs B and C which apparently have no OCP at all, save whatever is ahead of this disconnect.

Even those only look like 60 amp. max. fuses, it's still a horrible situation.

Only one conductor landed on the neutral buss...? [Linked Image]

I guess ID'ing the conductors is out of the question, too... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 01-17-2006).]

#110060 01/17/06 09:13 PM
Cat Servant
Far be it for me to gloat, in anticipation of a visit by the AHJ :-)

As mentioned, this is but one of three units- with the supply line involved in all three. The building owner - landlord to my customer - is being an absolute PITA regarding my getting a permit (which is already posted on the job site). He can't seem to understand ehy the job is taking me so long.

My inspection will, of necessity, involve all three units; I've only worked on one. Besides the electrical, the AHJ is sure to take exception to the PVC air line (PVC not allowed here in commercial properties), and the non-functioning fire sprinklers as well.

In trying to pressure his tenant for some "free" upgrades, this landlord will soon get his comeuppance!

Link Copied to Clipboard