ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#110020 01/12/06 08:44 AM
I got a call for a lighting circuit that was out in an old 1930's
house... I ended up finding a little more than I expected [Linked Image]
The 4 ckt panel was in the bathroom, along with the keyless in the
shower space and the riser falling off the wall [Linked Image] The outlet was
the culprit for the blown circuit.. (She blamed her son.. )

Randy (Lostazhell)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Well, looks like the bottom half is OK - just snap off the tie connectors (eheh). On second thought, that won't work, the whole thing was installed upside down.

Seriously tho - where was this outlet located? In the same bathroom or elsewhere? And did she say just what her son did to cause this?

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
S
So Randy, what did you end up doing? Just changing the two-pin socket for another one of the same and leave with the money .... or try to get this woman to have that junk repaired properly?

Edit: Radar, he probably just plugged something into the leftovers...and the contacts inside brushed up against the device bracket? ZAP-KAPOW!

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-12-2006).]

M
Randy: Was this panel (looks like a really old Zinsco [Linked Image] ) actually in the shower area?

You run into some real zingers in your travels! I hope they had you do more than just replace the receptacle.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 01-12-2006).]

Y
Is that 4-circuit panel the service equipment? Seeing the way the wallpaper is bubbling up from the humidity, that can't be good for the equipment, undersized, too few circuits and yeah, it does look like a Zinsco. [Linked Image]

Unfortunatly this home is a rental, with the landlord out living it up out on the coast... He was a MAJOR tightwad and only allowed the recept to be changed (to a GFI due to lack of a ground)But I did try to drive home just how bad things were here [Linked Image] They've been using small room heaters since he hasn't fixed their wall furnace! [Linked Image] (it's gotten down to the 30°F's here at times!)

The outlet was in her sons room behind a nightstand. I found an extension cord with a nice chunk blown out of the prongs on the other side of the room, but the outlet appears to have been broken for some time...

The panel is only about 1½' from the shower area, it could be reached from the shower (in case the lights go out while you're shampooing) It's partially buried in the corner, so getting the cover off took some work.. It's a Zinsco with the old screw terminal on both ends.. I have a pic of the inside I'll try to get posted here.. and yes... it is the service equiptment, a lone meter is the only thing between this and the feeders (#10's!) tied to the utility!

The tenant would've LOVED to get all these things fixed, but it wasn't her decision [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard