ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 195 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
pauluk Offline OP
Welcome aboard Nick. [Linked Image]

I hadn't noticed it before, but you're right. If you look at the bottom of the last pic there is a lot of dirt there.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
as some of you know here on the forum, nearly all of our work is related to the public house, nightclub and liesure industry.

personally i would not, or any of my crew, leave an installation in such a bad condition, temporary or not.

that is just not done, the lack of MCB blanks is one thing butjust the condition of the instalaltion raises more questions.

Pic # 2, appears to be a Wylex MCB board with maybe one 32A MCB and alot of lighting circuits connected, fed via what appears to be a bit of 10mm T/WE (twin and Earth similar to romex, the cable colours are the new harmonised type,
Is the BD staying or is it going, you could place all of those circuits on the main DB (the memsheild 2 board.

the SWA connected tot he Joint box, i would be worried about even opening that can of worms.!

pic # 3, the suspended RCD, well there aint a lot to say really about that one just, WHY??

pic # 5, the connection of cables to the lower TPN MCB, was the guy just lazy or does he like to test circuits energised by placing huis test equipment onto the exposed portion of the conductor entering the MCB ?

Earthing, this does not appear to be within code, 16mm tails incoming 10mm out, i dont think so!

main earth connection shall be the same diameter as the main supply feeds.

the thing in the US of `flying splices` well this just takes the biscuit, i would in no way shape or form leave this service enrgised in this condition.

temporary or not, it is just an absolute mess, especially as the property is occupied by customers and staff !!

frightening, very frightening .....

i hope that this instalaltion is going to re done soon, very soon..

Britspark

I
quote:
-------------
Do you mean that you don't actually have any houses wired for PME? (i.e. That the distribution lines are multiple-earthed, but that from the service drop onward it's effectively TN-S?)
-------------

Correct - we don't bother with PME over here, so you it's either a TN-S system in the urban areas or TT in the rural areas.

quote:
-------------
Also the amount of debris inside the disboard is unacceptable, should have been cleaned out before use.
-------------

All the debris had entered the board over the last few months while the roof was replaced - the board was apaprently live throughout the works! I don't even know if it was covered up. We cleared a load of dust out when we took the cover off.

quote:
-------------
Earthing, this does not appear to be within code, 16mm tails incoming 10mm out, i dont think so!
-------------

For a TN-S system that would be acceptable.

quote:
-------------
i hope that this instalaltion is going to re done soon, very soon..
-------------

Me too - my professional curiosity is getting the better of me, and I think an inspection is due. I will let you know how they are getting on.

Ian

T
Yeouch! That's bad! And to think I thought _my_ temp wiring was bad...

One thing to mention though...
You call that a lot of dust??? During construction works Austrian panels often have a full inch of debris at the bottom, especially the older fuse panels. Along with cigarette butts and other trash the electricians conveniently placed there. To be honest, the way most of my collegues smoke I'm always surprised when I open an old fuse panel and _don't_ find at least three cigarette butts in there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard