ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 248 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Now, most of us know that EMT is not intended to support other pipes. Yet, the 'fine print' of the code says nothing about our needing to mount it flat against a surface. At this job site, the guy who ran the pipe was thoughtfull enough to run the pipe about 6" below the ceiling, and about a foot from the wall. Instant clothes rack! Why do I suspect this was deliberate?

The pipe, incidentally, contains ALL the circuits serving this place.
[Linked Image]
The shop next door realised that you should not hang clothes from EMT.....so he hung his from the sprinkler pipes.

The almighty sure must love clever fools..he sure makes enough of them!

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
And the extension cord into the ceiling goes where ?
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
G
I actually DID make clothes poles out of EMT in my attic and in my basement..... You mean you can put WIRES in those things??

[Linked Image]

B
That's bad, but at least EMT can bear some abuse before the conductors get damaged. A deli out here in the country likes to hang signs and banners from NM-B run on the walls of their store.

How about people hanging clothes on hangers from light fixtures? I once took five heavy sport-coats off of a dinky little sconce light. Combined, they must've weighed fifteen pounds.

-John

J
Along the same lines, why is it that NM-B is thru bored holes is OK, but run perpendicular and stapled below the joists is not? I am aware of the requirement for running boards, but was asking more for the reason. It is certainly not just to prevent hanging things from the NM as the bored method does nothing to prevent using these runs as a hanging rack.

True the stress of anything hanging is lessened thru the bored hole vs a staple, but does it really make that much difference?

Nice unsupported piece of conduit there in the 2nd pic also [Linked Image]

I'll second Alan's question... Whats with the orange cord going into the punched out hole in the ceiling?

The pipe, incidentally, contains ALL the circuits serving this place.
Just out of curiousity... What is this place? Besides a mess....

P
I have to admit to using offcuts of steel conduit and 1/2-inch copper water pipe as makeshift hanger bars, but not ones which are actually in use for power or water!

Cat Servant
I have no idea where that orange cord goes...yet! This guy probably has no idea just how much we'll be seeing of each other in the next few months :-)

As for the "unsupported" conduit....this room is all of five foot wide; I think it is fair to consider the matching holes in the brick walls as 'support.'
There is no reason, though, for the pipe to not have been run closer to either the wall or the ceiling. I really think it was deliberately run to also serve as a clothes rack!

As for the "unsupported" conduit....this room is all of five foot wide; I think it is fair to consider the matching holes in the brick walls as 'support.'

I'd be more inclined to go along with that if there weren't 2 couplings suspended in mid air also... [Linked Image] (referring to the 2nd pic)

Link Copied to Clipboard