ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Building on a thread started by "Lotsahell," here are the first pics from a transmission shop I'm currently working on.

The first pic is of the starter open; as you can see, this is a single-phase unit.
[Linked Image]
The second pic shows the box feeding the com[pressor, as I found it. Please note the absense of either a cover or disconnecting means. Not so obvious is that there are three large wires, plus a ground wire, going to the compressor. This is one wire more than is neede for a single phase unit.
[Linked Image]
A look behind the unit (pic 3) shows what happened to the lost phase- it was simply capped off at the flying splice.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

why do I get the feeling that all of this tomfoolerly is outside for the weather to wreak more havoc on than already exists.... [Linked Image] Some people just shouldn't be allowed contact with more than 12V!

PS. nice pics John.. [Linked Image]

-Randy

M
ironically, NJ passed a law that a license is required for anything over 10v.

not sure if it's being enforced though.

C
ironically, NJ passed a law that a license is required for anything over 10v.
That would be a good idea in some cases, 12v from a car/truck battery can do a lot of damage, but that would cover phones too (Unless there's a specific exclusion). The phone companies however might think that was a good idea [Linked Image]

R
Yep, 12V is "safe" but when you have a few hundred amps availible and ya' short across it, things kind of get a bit hot let alone all the 'pirty sparks.. Very easy way to say start your car---> on fire. ( seen it)
Telephone?? Get your buddy to work on it.. If they don't feel the 50V D.C present, CALL THEM... See if they feel the 90V A.C "ring" [Linked Image]

"why do I get the feeling that all of this tomfoolerly is outside for the weather to wreak more havoc on than already exists.... Some people just shouldn't be allowed contact with more than 12V!"

If you ask me, some people shouldn't be allowed to touch a "AA" battery!

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
P
Yep, 12V is "safe" but when you have a few hundred amps availible and ya' short across it, things kind of get a bit hot let alone all the 'pirty sparks..

Definitely. So many times I've heard comments like "Oh, it's only a low voltage, it can't do any harm."

In the communications facility where I worked years ago we had the usual DC busbars running around above the racks for power. There were the usual 50V telephone equipment supplies, and we had a separate 28V distribution system for some of the satellite equipment. Some folk wouold scoff at the fuses and protection on that 28V system, but those busbars were fed from one heck of a big battery bank. The short-circuit current would have been well into the four-digit range, possibly even five.

At one point on the floor underneath the busbars was a patch where you could still see the burn marks from a slip made some years earlier. Apparently somebody accidentally dropped a wrench while working above on the cable trays and it bridged the bars as it fell. Needles to say, it was no longer usable for its intended purpose! [Linked Image]

W
Some folk wouold scoff at the fuses and protection on that 28V system, but those busbars were fed from one heck of a big battery bank. The short-circuit current would have been well into the four-digit range, possibly even five.

I've heard stories about wedding rings and car batteries. That one needs to remove the ring before working with such batteries. Else you could literally burn your finger off from the heat of the fault current thru the ring from +12V to ground.... [Linked Image]

Once had a boss who had an ivory wedding ring (non-conductive material) to avoid this hazard, as well as any wayward smaller hot wires accidently getting under the ring to make a "good" connection to his body for a shocking experience. [Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here is a pic of the compressor after I re-wired it.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

I
Well, that looks much more respectable [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard