ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 275 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#109745 12/02/05 09:24 PM
V
Thread moved from Occupational Safety Area:

[Linked Image]

The carpenter was using a table saw a compressor and a boom box all on one ext cord clamped to the main

{Message edited to put pic on ECN Server and to clean original posting up}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-03-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Vlad,
Is that lower pic just a thumbnail or is there a bigger pic associated with it?.
If there is a bigger version of it please send me a copy so that I can put it on the ECN server.
Cheers,
Mike. [Linked Image]

Oh and BTW, that carpenter needs shooting, doing a thing like that.
Not to say I haven't done the same thing before, but, I know how to insert the appropriate fusing into the live wire.
It's the level of protection (or lack thereof) that matters.
GRRR. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-03-2005).]

V
the worst part of all this is that all the trades keep opening my panels. then after they are finished doing there stupid stuff to get power they just leave the cover off. so at the end of the day day I drive around the sub division and close up panels! !!!I wish there was a way to lock the panel covers on!!!

Patrick
Cat Servant
There is a certain mentality that takes pride in its' own "cleverness."

It's hard to remain professional when you're surrounded by cheapskate contractors and semi-trained "professionals."

They're afraid to pay you to run some cords correctly..instead denying reality and leaving it to the snuffies to scrounge and improvise. These are the same guys who think it's perfectly reasonable to eliminate such "frills" as trash collection, dumpsters, and toilets.

I don't know that any solution is possible.

M
Be nice if you could lock the panel but then you run the risk of some disgruntled carpenter taking a prybar to the panel cover.

Why not install a panel GFCI? That way the other trades can get some power safely without opening the panel.

Or won't the boss pay for that? Seems to me that be cheaper than paying you to close up panels every night.

B

Not condoning the carpenters' actions, but there may be cases where this product is applicsble: http://www.littelfuse.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi/en/prod_series.html?SeriesID=1231&LFSESSION=NvXMX39edH

V
there is an 20 amp gfi just under the panel!! they just keep poping the breaker, so they hot wire instead.sometimes there are 5 or 6 ext cords hooked to a couple of power strips "the kind you would use for your computer" and everyone running power tools!!

Patrick
M
Half-dozen panel GFIs, one for each trade. [Linked Image]

I don't have any suggestions. I suppose these guys need to get their work done too. Of course if some fool manages to electrocute himself, guess who's going to catch hell.

Another method I have used (for DIN mount boards) is to mount two or three RCD/MCBs (20 amp capacity, 30 mA residual current trip) with a 15 amp socket for each RCD on the DIN rail at the board. This way if one tradesman takes out a circuit, the others can keep working.

Anyone notice that the guy has the cord hooked up with the neutral side hot? [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard