ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 229 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Fibreboard composition, [or 'compo' as it was known], is a pressed resin/woodfibre material of immense strength when dry. It far outperforms crummy plastic grips- just try breaking a piece with your fingers!
It was much used in the pre-plastic era for electrical insulation in transformers, switchgear and motors.
One modern use is for seals in domestic water connections here in France, because it swells when wetted, effecting a reliable joint.
Historical note: The British Army issued our squaddies with 'compo' ID dog-tags during WW2 for economy. The poor blighters who fell on the Normandy beaches became unidentifiable when the tags disintegrated in the seawater.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
pauluk Offline OP
AIUI the socket *must* be rated to 13A to comply with BS1363

That's the impression I was under as well, but I'm really not sure about the contacts on that socket being able to take that current continuously. There were no clues as to the manufacturer or country of origin on this socket.

Is the heater plug cracked or was that a hair on the lens?
It wasn't cracked -- Must have been a hair.

A 3A Extension lead??!!. Why such a small rating?.

As I said, my guess would be that this socket started out life on an extension cord sold for garden tools. It would probably have had orange flex, and most likely an orange plug too, fitted with a 3A fuse. You can still buy extension cords using 0.75 sq. mm flex fused at 3 or 5A.

The plug I found on the other end of this extension was just a generic white type, fused at 13A.

Fibreboard composition, [or 'compo' as it was known], is a pressed resin/woodfibre material of immense strength when dry.

Yep, the old fiber cord grips are actually much stronger than they look. The usual failure is where someone has been a little over-enthusiastic about tightening them and stripped out the threads.

Historical note: The British Army issued our squaddies with 'compo' ID dog-tags during WW2 for economy.

I've read that in the U.S. a couple of states issued fiber license plates for cars during WWII as well to save metal. Apparently people in one area had problems with wild goats deciding that these made a tasty snack!

"No license plate officer? Gee, a wild animal must have eaten it!" [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard