ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Found this on a pre-purchase inspection!

yaktx
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Well to start with the obvious, unprotected conductors dubble-lugged to the service conductors, one is white and not re-identified, romex entering with no protector through an unsealed knockout in an apparently 3R enclousure, probably a couple more I'm missing. And there's the non-code issues of neatness and the fact that it's a FPE

-Will

[This message has been edited by Elviscat (edited 11-14-2005).]

S
Looks like the EGC and grounded conductor from the NM are under one screw on the neutral bar.

steve

Steve
S
The breakers are upside-down; an unused breaker in the ON position; no seperation of grounded and grounding bars (must be a sub panel since no main breaker!); tons of others I'm SURE.

M
Yaktx: Where's the EGC connected, since it doesn't look like it's headed for the ground?

Was the dead-front cover in place when you got there, or is it off for the inspection/pic? I wish I had a dime for every panel I've seen with an AWOL cover [Linked Image].

Any ideas where the double-luggeds go?

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 11-15-2005).]

H
As sstrick says (must be a subpanel ...)If it is, where is the insulated grounded conductor and seperate neutral bar?

Cat Servant
Interesting panel.

The "down for off" requirement hasn't been around all that long; I have a Sq D panel that was set up as this one ie; that is, intended to have two horizontal rows of breakers.

Which is what I am curious about: Where did all those breakers go? And why use half-width breakers in an "empty" panel?

C
An easier question would be:
What's RIGHT with this service?

LOL

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
E
This could be a main, no breaker is required if there are less then six breakers (4 full sized single poles, 2 double poles), plus the three wire feed and the EGC seems to me to indicate a main panel, perhaps you could clear this up yaktx?

Y
Yaktx: Where's the EGC connected, since it doesn't look like it's headed for the ground?

I assume you are referring to the GEC, meandering off to the right in an upward direction? The answer is nowhere. The house was replumbed and the plumber never replaced the ground clamp. The deadfront was there.

Nearly all Stab-Lok panels had one row of upside down breakers, which was legal at the time.

The lack of a main breaker does not mean this is a subpanel. I assure you the meter was right above this panel. In this case, it is service equipment which is in violation of 408.36(A). This service appears to be from the '70s, and my vintage NEC collection tells me it was illegal then, too. Nevertheless, many such installations were approved in my area during this time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard