ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Any pics of the new install? I enjoy "make-overs" (and in this case...it IS "Extreme Edition!")

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Y
Actually, I don't have any pix of this install. It's for a friend, and he will be renovating the attic soon. The house was built in 1915.

The attic has a very high roofline, remnants of an old radio aerial, and knob-and-tube. We decided to leave the k&t for now since he wants to reinforce the ceiling joists to make a proper floor. We're going to put a subpanel up there and then figure out where to put the stairs. Next time I go over there, I will get some pix.

Amazingly enough, the branch circuits that were added were not at all bad. All NEMA 5-15 receptacles, and the only ones that weren't grounded were the ones that were added to the k&t circuit.

There was one thing in the branch circuitry that was as scary as that feeder! In the bathroom, there was a 3-way switch wired as a single-pole, going to the light. The installer must have known that there is supposed to be a ground screw on the switch, so the bare wire of the NM cable was wired to the unused traveller terminal! [Linked Image]

Since the feed was from k&t, the ground wire went nowhere, and was randomly energized whenever the light was off!

I disconnected that wire. We will be fixing it properly when we finish the attic.

>>In the bathroom, there was a 3-way switch wired as a single-pole, going to the light. The installer must have known that there is supposed to be a ground screw on the switch, so the bare wire of the NM cable was wired to the unused traveller terminal!

Since the feed was from k&t, the ground wire went nowhere, and was randomly energized whenever the light was off!<<

saw that myself once on a service call on an outside light.. the tenant complained of recieving a shock when she touched the light barefoot after hosing off the patio (!!) I never would have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard