ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 566 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#109615 11/11/05 11:00 PM
Y
Run a separate EGC!

Many years ago I used to use EMT as the EGC. Unlike some folks I have had the misfortune to work with I was (and still am) always careful to tighten every connector and coupling. All that comes to naught when some inept remodeler (siders, roofers, whomever) decides to pop your straps and never puts them back. If you are using rigid or IMC you need not worry, but with EMT gravity will take its toll and you will no longer have a ground path. When this happens you will probably not be around to defend yourself or put it right. You probably won't even know about it.

For the last 8 years I have lived and worked in a jurisdiction where separate copper EGCs are required, but even if I had the option I would use a copper EGC. It's cheap insurance!

[This message has been edited by yaktx (edited 11-11-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#109616 11/12/05 12:08 AM
F
iwire,
The point i was making was that these installations are the industry standard and code.You will only see ridged etc where it is required.Few machine tool builders or contractors will build better than the code which is the BARE MINIMUM accepted as they will price themselves out of the market(Economics).Of course it can and will happen thats why ground wires should be required buy code in EMT IMO.The quality of workmanship is another factor to add to the equation.I'm not putting anyone down just pointing out that the most important connection in any circuit should be as fool proof as possible.
And don't put words in my mouth.If a 180lb person steps on a piece of EMT how do you expect the one screw or compression rig in the fitting to hold it together.Do you honestly expect the millwright to come down off a machine and tell the sparky he broke it.I found your last comment to be extremely offensive iwire.Designed to p%ss me off in fact.
I can never know for sure the pipework i do today wont be destroyed by some clown over the next 30yrs that it may be in service.
The painted thread on the connector in the 12:00 position of the first picture shows the painter didn't care or even know the risk.

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 11-12-2005).]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard