ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#109508 10/28/05 06:23 PM
G
gideonr Offline OP
Thread moved from Non-US Area
Installations in a flat in Edinburgh. Found the lecy board behind two cupboards, and the boiler hookup under the boiler...

Gideonr.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-30-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#109509 10/28/05 10:24 PM
H
funny lightbulb. and I doubt that's very safe...

Cliff
#109510 10/29/05 10:09 AM
The upper bulb is a Standard UK bayonet fitting type. Also available in France. There are two contacts, but the outer bayonet cap is not part of the circuit; the female metal bayonet is not usually grounded as it has a bakelite sheath, ( all metal bulb holders excepted). 'Screw' caps are also used extensively in Europe for 'fancy' bulbs.
The lower right packaged bulb is a low energy unit, essentially a fluorescent fitting with integral starter.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#109511 10/29/05 10:30 AM
B
Gideonr,
the double socket outlet looks as though it was an add on?
also the 20mm conduit coupling to the bottom really looks odd, i bet its a metleclad socket box with a cheap plastic outlet on it.

also in the first pic, there seems to be, to the right hand corner, another phase block, what is that used for?

all in all its a bit of an untidy install.

someone should have thought about the electrician that would have to come in later to work on it.

but unfortunetley its nuthin new.

on apersonal note.
i think all EC`s should be licensed and should have to pull a permit to do ANY work on ANY property, not just domestic, as in England.

do north of the border have PART P ?

Britspark.

PS, i am glad i just do commercial/industrial!!

#109512 10/29/05 03:00 PM
G
gideonr Offline OP
I was told that when the boiler was installed, the electrics ran behind it and didn't reach, so they just pulled the socket from the wall and left it dangling beneath the boiler, and a nice hole in the wall (not in picture). It's been that way for months apparently, never a finished job.

This flat had white meter heating some time back (electric resistance heaters on a timer for nights with a dual meter), hence the extra commoning blocks. It's the service fuse that gets me, out of reach between the cupboard side and the wall.

Part P does not apply in Scotland. We have a part N instead, it says that major stuff needs tested and certificated but not minor. Not sure what that should be...

[This message has been edited by gideonr (edited 10-29-2005).]

#109513 10/30/05 05:42 PM
Gideon,
This is not good at all!.
I'm not sure the Power Authority would be too keen on thier Service Entrance and Main fuse being covered up like that.
I'd have to agree with britspark when mentioning that conduit socket on the double outlet.
Seems as there are 2 cables entering that socket, would this be a ring circuit?.
Reason I ask that is because the plug on the right side of the socket looks like a moulded type that is used on extension cords.
Which brings me to the question, do you have to have a fused plug on an extension cord in the UK?.
In the bottom picture, it looks like there wasn't a lot of fore-thought in selecting a position for that Hager switch-board.
By the looks of things, it probably could have been installed on the same wall where it is now, but up higher (above the top of the MEM board).
BTW, I think the Trunking might be full. [Linked Image]

#109514 10/30/05 06:54 PM
G
gideonr Offline OP
Yes, it's a ring circuit. I'm not sure why the knockout box has a conduit stub on it, if I get an opportunity I'll have to have a look.

Yes, all BS1363 plugs have a BS1362 fuse in them, even those on extension leads. That is what makes the ring circuit system particularly safe, in my opinion.

From memory, I think that might actually be a fridge plugged in there. Most appliances come with molded plugs these days rather than hand wire types, whereas extension leads have hand wire plugs.

Maybe the boiler should really be on its own fused switched spur outlet?

#109515 10/30/05 07:13 PM
Gideon,
Maybe the boiler should really be on its own fused switched spur outlet?
Yeah,
That's what I thought fused spurs were for.
BTW, Is that bare T+E running behind that boiler?.
Not the sort of place you want to have plastic cable. [Linked Image]

#109516 11/03/05 07:04 PM
O
Jeez,

What a mess! I Guess he ran out of screws before he could fit that pattress to the wall.

What are the 3 meter tail blocks there for? At a guess it would be an E7 supply but I only see 1 meter?

#109517 11/05/05 06:59 AM
K
Oh My God ! How did this stuff ever get certified & livened ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard