ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
It looks like the outer neutral bar was removed and the lug is attached in it's place. Are there 2 grounded conductors under one screw at the lower right of the photo?

steve

Steve
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Yes, I live in the State of VA, and it is referenced as the standard in the VA Fire Prevention Code. Also, All military reservations within the Military District of Washington (Now Wash. Headquarters Service actually) use 72-99 as the standard.

It is where your smoke detector placements come from as well.

L
I believe the screw in the fender washer is the original screw from that hole, where the neutral bus was removed; it's not a sheet-metal screw at all.

The left end of the neutral bar behind the line lugs is shaped like the right end, so that screw is definitely in the neutral bar, and not the enclosure.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
I
iwire Offline OP
I believe the screw in the fender washer is the original screw from that hole, where the neutral bus was removed; it's not a sheet-metal screw at all.

You can believe that, but you would be mistaken. [Linked Image]

The original screw was gold in color, take a look at the neutral bar mounting screws that remain.

If you saw it in person you would have no doubts. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
You're absolutely correct. I copied and enlarged the image; the screw heads are definitely different. My bad.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
W
I would have violated the code by inserting each strand of that wire under its own screw on that bar next to where the fendder washer currently is.... :-)

wa2ise,

Please explain that.
(SquareD sells lug kits for this purpose)

P
I would have violated the code by inserting each strand of that wire under its own screw on that bar next to where the fendder washer currently is..

That's a trick I've seen done here a good few times where somebody tries to add a heavier bonding cable and it won't fit the largest available hole on the ground bar.

J
Not to get too far off the point, but there also appear to be two neutrals landing on one screw at the lower right. What, the installer didn't see those other empty ones?

the longer I look at this, the more I think even with the fender washer, I don't think there's a whole lot of metal to metal contact between the lug and the bracket it's fastened to...

Randy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard