ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10928 06/22/02 10:02 PM
M
Today I passed my tests to qualify me to be an Electrical Inspector.

Any advice from the veterans?

#10929 06/22/02 10:57 PM
Congrats Brian!

Do you think I could pass it in four or five tries?

I'm skeered...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#10930 06/22/02 11:23 PM
R
I,second the congrats. I,m not an inspector, but I would like to say, remember your days of being in the field. Do your job per all applicable codes, no less. You must also be helpfull to the people you are inspecting. In other words, IMHO, the title TEACHER comes with this job. You will have your wars, but do your job so that when you lay down to go to sleep, you know to the best of your knowledge people are safe. Sorry about the philosophy.

Roger

#10931 06/22/02 11:54 PM
G
Ditto to Roger.

For whatever reason people become inspectors (for me it was arthritis in the knees/ankles) I try to emulate an old inspector in the area named Martin Harp, one of the true gentlemen EVER to grace the title inspector. Martin would never let you off by telling you it was against the code, he had to show you why, the reason for the interpretation, and the INTENT of the code, not just the black and white of it.

Time is always a problem, and I hope that some day, I can meet that standard. Don't just be a code quoter, but a teacher as well. Some of the best lessons I've ever had in this trade were ones Martin pencilled in on the drywall.

Good Luck.

#10932 06/23/02 12:44 AM
S
Congrats!!

Who gave the test? IAEI?

My suggestion is that if you are not sure about a code in the field, don't hesitate to tell the contractor that you will have to check it out and get back with him. Then be prompt in searching out your answer and getting back with him. Often the NEC will not be enough, you will need to have the UL books or go on their web site to investigate a product, or a manufacturer's site to get their installation instructions.

Other than that bring your digital camera to all the jobs because when you see the blunders or oddities, it is a good way to document them. You could also then create handouts to other contractors showing some of the more common errors or code misconceptions.

The hardest thing for me was realizing how many different ways the same thing can be done and trying to determine if it was a proper installation. I was taught to do things a certain way (most of it was even the correct way) but every electrician has their own little twist and you have to look at the unfamiliar installations a little longer until you get use to seeing what is right and what is not. There has got to be several hundred different ways to install your typical Hub/strap/clamp combination and at least 100 of them are wrong.

Good luck stick with it, give yourself time to adapt, and be prepared to eat crow once in a while because some contractors are very good and there is always someone who has been doing it longer than you.
Happy Learning!!

#10933 06/23/02 01:36 AM
Good Job!

Any advice for anyone else contemplating the Exams?

Bill

Bill
#10934 06/23/02 07:21 AM
S
Congrats,

without real inspectors, real electricians become a rare animal.....

#10935 06/23/02 07:36 AM
F
(CONGRATULATIONS BRIAN)

I took my examination in 1986. Learning modules purchased through International Association of Electrical Inspectors were a great help to me.

Frank

#10936 06/23/02 07:37 PM
M
Thanks guys!

Believe me, I know that I don't know everything. I am just a student of the Code like everyone else. In fact, I didn't expect to pass the first time. I may have mentioned before that I never went to school for electricity other than an associate's degree in electronics. I learned the electrical trade on my own over the years from a few good inspectors that I still consider my friends. Hopefully, somewhere years from now, someone will be saying the same about me. I will always try to TEACH like I was taught by those before me.

Someone told me one time that if someone older than you or someone more experienced than you offers you advice just SHUT UP AND LISTEN... you just might learn something.

I need to get hooked up with an inspection agency to start inspections. If I can, I plan to do it part time. Inspecting service entrances, etc.

I think that the electrical portion of the WV state contractor's test was more difficult than either of the Inspector's tests. There was a whole lot more calculations on the WV test and I'm not an engineer.

By the way, the test was given by a company called Prometric. I got the informaton from thier web site, 2test.com. The tests that I took were 1&2 family dwellings and electrical general. The nearest testing center to me was in Pittsburgh.

#10937 06/23/02 08:50 PM
F
Master66,

I took my IAEI examinations at the University of Pittsburgh. Where did you take yours?

Frank

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard