ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
Yes, this panel is energized and the breaker covers and panelboard cover are nowhere to be found.

- Tom

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
This is really scary. I've taken circuit breakers apart before just to piddle with them, but I've never seen one, in service and energized, like these guys. It looks kinda like an old Trumbull, or FPE ( [Linked Image] )
MDP. I don't understand why someone would remove the top cover of these breakers [Linked Image].

I see lots of situations where the panelboard cover is either missing or not in place. Occasionally you will also find a panel with the front cover in place, but missing the dead-front. I guess it's just too much trouble sometimes... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

Tom Offline
This installation is late '40's or early '50's. I'm probably the 10 gazillioninth electrician to be on this site. Electrical inspection in the town this is in was non-existant until at least the mid- 90's .

Only one of the two "coverless" breakers is still in service.

Long range plans for this building include removing all existing service equipment & upgrading to a bus duct system.

i'll believe it when I see it.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
P
I have seen the cover removed on panels like this to keep them cooler so the breakers will not trip. I have a picture of a small panel in a deli that is overloaded, and there is a big fan blowing on it to keep it cool. The deli owner says it saved him a lot of money that the electrician was going to charge to replace the panel.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Tom Offline
Pierre,

What the electrician was going to charge will be nothing compared to what his lawyer will charge him to defend the lawsuit against him when someone gets hurt.

I guess some people feel that if smoke & fire isn't belching out of the equipment, it must be safe.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard