ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#109288 08/31/03 07:31 PM
I
While we endeavor to maintain reasonable continuity of electric service, we provide absolutely no guarantee of the same.

That is close to my personal feeling, while I make every effort not to shut things down without warning, when I do I have little sympathy for people that are relying on the POCO (sorry guys [Linked Image]) to provide uninterrupted power.

In other words if you have critical processes, get some UPS equipment!

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#109289 08/31/03 08:14 PM
Z
How did you get into my building and take those pictures.. oh no wait, one of mine is like that but it has a couple 575 volt transformers around protected on the load side only.. heh.. turn of the transformers? well they are off with no load right?

I've seen the same thing in older buildings, one of mine has a 400a 3ph disconnect in the tray similar looking to yours in a similar looking setup but with fuse panels. like you say nothing between the lonely 15A fuse and the 400A main that hasn't been touched since 1948.. my tray was significantly wider though, had splices in it everywhere though. when you open it, some surprises pop out at you.. worst thing on that job was only 2 years ago a brand new fire alarm system / sprinker monitor/ all that jazz hooked into the firedepartment was added, it was powered by a pullbox with 12AWG stranded taps from the 400A feeders, protected by a 20A "slow blow" fuse, with 14AWG conductors on the load side going to the fire panel.. guess they wanted to make sure it had lots of power

#109290 09/01/03 07:28 AM
It's a common practice in multiple metering setups with over 6 meters to provide a main switch ahead of all the meters/mains on the utility side.
Malls, for instance.
The tenant spaces might each have a 100 amp service (of course each has its own main ocpd), and 20 might be grouped together on a 2000 amp switch (shutting down 20 occupants with 1 throw of the switch!).
I fight the 230.72 issue on a nearly daily basis. I sure wish that it was rigorously enforced. It's really a beach to chase around for an hour trying to get keys to a utility closet in order to do a 10 minute job within, and my inconvenience is paltry if compared to the damage that could be done in that amount of time if there was a real problem...S

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard