ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#109228 09/19/03 08:11 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
A contributor on a radio repair message board gave me permission to pass this on for this for posting. The GFCI recept in the first shot looks like charcoal:
-Sven

Gosh, where was this photo when my kids were in junior high and had to make those drug awareness posters showing, "This is your brain . . . this is your brain on drugs?"

[Linked Image]

As I discovered to my chagrin, the previous owner of this house had created an extra outlet in the garage with the aid of a length of cheap extension cord! That extra outlet happens to be the one that powers my workbench, including lights, soldering station, and a little space heater.

[Linked Image]

This mess was hidden behind a water heater, so I never noticed where my workbench outlet wiring originated until the cord plug finally failed. I eliminated this outlet -- who needs one behind a water heater? -- and made it into a junction box.

I guess today's lesson is . . . never assume. Sheesh!

Phil Nelson

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#109229 09/19/03 08:30 PM
N
By converting this outlet into a junction box (presumably by removing the GFCI and splicing the line and load cables together), the homeowner may have eliminated GFCI protection elsewhere, such as outdoor receptacles, or even in the bathroom/kitchen.

Back when GFCIs were new (and expensive), it was somewhat common to install one unit in a basement or garage, and then use the load side to feed all the other GFCI-required circuits in the house.

I would suggest a check of outdoor recepts and bathroom/kitchen circuits to verify that they still have GFCI protection provided somewhere...

#109230 09/19/03 08:58 PM
By using the outlet as a junction box, are their issues of access?

Link Copied to Clipboard