ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#108878 01/06/04 08:16 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
This was taken outside of a set of $300K townhomes, all the salt on the drive for icemelting didn't really show up. The overhang is just open decks. I'm more familiar with Chicago code than NEC, but this service exposure can't be good anywhere.

User- chi spark

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
I took the above picture and posted it- my first- so I wasn't sure if it would work out, but now that it's here, how about that location? I can't believe this is a good idea- to put the service head in such an exposed area where their garbage cans are placed for pickup, and right next to the overhead door. Also how long till that needs service with salt, snow, etc? And this passed in a normally tough town.

Chris,

Welcome to ECN!
I agree that a Driveway isn't the best place for this Equipment. With the design of the Building though the options are probably limited.

Do you know if there's rigid conduit behind that sheet metal? Just curious about the construction of these pedestals and if the conductors are protected by anything more than the enclosure.

Bill

Bill
I
I think this would be allowed in my area as long as bollards where installed to protect the enclosures.

Of course that would be a hard sell to the occupants and architect as they would be 3' to 4' back from the meter face.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
Bill- I don't know about protection- I didn't see any other enclosures around building. I think I may have put in a bank on either end rather than out in the exposed drive. Salt is the snow shovel of choice around here, I wouldn't really care for the replacement job here when the pedestals get rotten. maybe they could have curbed it a bit with concrete to at least prevent water, debris from sitting against ground penetration. I am also curious as to grounding rods-our towns have been going to rod at service and street side water, since this is < 3 yrs old there should be one for each, maybe it's in the garage.
IWIRE- My point exactly- the drive is only about 20 ft from the grass to the overhead doors, and those are 2-car garages. Try getting a caddy in there with bollards 3 ft out! Still, I'd hate to back up into a meter with the van, better a bollard.

Like you said, chi spark, here it would have to be raised above grade on a concrete curb or the PoCo wouldn't buy it. (Is that wiring coming out of the top? If so, what kind?)
Welcome!! [Linked Image]
It would also require iwire's bollards.

P
With those lights above the garage doors, no one will ever miss the service enclosures [Linked Image]

Besides I do not believe that it is possible to slide on any of the ice and ram into those services. Maybe you can slide hard enough and get two [Linked Image]

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
C
yeah I'm more worried about a car hitting it or say its coverd in snow and rotten and someones snow shovel goes right throgh the rotten metal. Lawsuit time [Linked Image]

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
S
My fear is someone hitting them. Either pulling in the garage or with the snowplow.

The salt is not going to do them any good.

ComputerWizKid, good point about the shovel.

I rush in where others flee.
J
My first take is that this is a pretty good location- you're not going to spend an hour looking behind bushes for it, there won't be an a/c set in front of it, you're not standing in the mud, a mile from your truck, etc.
The small trash can can be easily moved, and will serve as a "warning" to a careless
parker. The installation of more substantial barriers has often been cited as a working space violation- even though code requires protection from traffic hazards!

Link Copied to Clipboard