ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#108872 01/06/04 09:18 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I am a Master Electrician that has moved into engineering as an electrical designer. I am currently involved with an overhead to underground conversion project for our local utility. During the course of my work, I have to visit each location, look at the service, the panel board, etc, and document everything for the construction package. I have really run into some things that make you cringe. Here are a few.

This is an apartment building. The disconnect is 600 amp and fused to the max. The apartments have small children playing outside. The disconnect door does not have any interlocking capabilities on it, and the bottom is gone. What if a small child ran his arm into this or pulled the door open?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The following two are an old electrical room used for storage............
notice in the second picture the wire wired to the disconnect handle.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a beauty. The tenant built a room inside a room and left approximately two feet of clearance. The panel is in the back. I had to get on my knees and crawl under the water pipe riser.

[Linked Image]

Here is some do it yourself wiring in the back of a jewelry store.

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
more:

More do it your self wiring. notice the sink, the two wire extension cords, etc. By the way, there are no light switches in this business, to cut lights on or off, you have to screw in or un screw the fuses in the panel.

[Linked Image]

And here we have a service mast hanging loose, with some broken conduits behind it.

[Linked Image]

Here is a 400 amp disconnect with no door interlocking... I just pulled it open. When I opened it, I noticed the Clip-Clamps, I don't care for them, but that's what they were designed for. But I don't think that the beams clamps on the lower jaws were designed for this type of usage ................

[Linked Image]

Some more do it your self wiring

[Linked Image]

- Paul Miller

P
Different style devices over here in England, but the untidy wiring in many of these photos is all too familiar.

Is that disco in the top pics particularly old, or is this in a very humid location to cause such bad deterioration?

M
The disconnect in the top picture is in Florida. The actual building is located less than 1/4 mile from a river. After looking at approximately 80+ services, this is the only one that is rusted/corroded out like this one........... It is probably a late 50's early 60's disconnect. Regardless of the age or type, it definately needs replacing

Paul

E
Someone from a utility had to read the meters shown. Why didn't (s)he notify the local AHJ of the situation?

M
The utility has meter readers that are subcontractors. They only know how to read a meter, and don't concern themselves with anything else. They tend to have the mindset of "It's not my job". That's the biggest problem I have seen in this environment. If it is reported to their supervisor, who is an actual employee of the utility, he or she says not to worry about it. So what's a person to do?

To make matters worse, the utility is installing remote reading capabilities for it's entire service area. This means that the meter readers will be far and few. As for recognizing violations, I have personally seen persons within the utility company not recognize violations either because they don't have the working knowledge of the electrical code, which is common for the last 3 utility companies I have done work for, or they are just ignoring it.

Link Copied to Clipboard