ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#108841 08/23/01 11:29 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Posted for Sparky:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is somewhat in step with Virgil's concerns for the Full Moon fair temp service. These are pix of a panel at our local Ag-fair, two-headed chickens, bearded lady...and panel by satan ! My 4 yr old was about to get a drink of water when I noted this....I got her a coke at the stand instead.... [Linked Image]
The fairgrounds are supplied via a pole hung temp that feeds a number of old W/P panels like this one via 3-wire direct buried URD, most are old , rusted, missing the internal covers, and have burnt lugs and/or busses. By far, the amazing 'flying splice' is what jumps out here...

Steve
aka sparky....

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#108842 08/24/01 08:26 AM
Steve,
This is probably the only panel in the country that doesn't have a bunch of junk in front of it, and unfortunately it's badly in need of said junk to keep people away [Linked Image]

#108843 08/25/01 02:05 PM
S
LOL!!
This is energized every year for this event, so it sits there and accumulates decay. All the pole mounts ( I think i counted 3) are about the same caliber. They are all fed via triplex from the 'main temp' which appears every year before the event on the closest utility pole.
So the Q comes....is it within the definition of 'temp'? , or is it an 'existing' installation?
Does 'temp' imply the entire constuction or the annual energizing of this mess???
If we are to pursue the 'existing' angle, are these violations grandfathered, and allowed to reenergize annually?

Note there is not a single GFI, and i did not investigate the main temp as to any compliance with 215-9

Note also the interior panel covers are off, I did not remove anything here, and the outer covers were unlatched, so a child could easily stick a hand up in there.

What would U do???
[Linked Image]

#108844 08/26/01 04:37 PM
You might send the management an e-mail asking for their advice! Heehee, Only teasing, I just got another e-mail w/ that pesky computer worm attached (not from you)

I'd try a phone call to the "powers that be", suggest at a minimum padlocking the panels, and state your case for more. If that doesn't work - Send via e-mail - Send via snail mail - Send Certified - Wait 'til next year, walk over to one of the panels and scream "They're trying to kill me!!" at the top of your lungs. 'Is there an attorney in the house?". Whatever it takes. It beats losing a life to somebody's neglect. [Linked Image] They might not even know there's a problem.

Per Code, looks like 305-2(b) and (d), when used in conjunction with each other, should answer any questions they have. I've seen too much junk that was permanently temporary as well.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-26-2001).]

#108845 08/28/01 07:18 AM
S
Note there is not a single GFI, and i did not investigate the main temp as to any compliance with 215-9

It occurs to me that 110V loads could not survive off a 220V gfi... [Linked Image]

#108846 08/29/01 08:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>It occurs to me that 110V loads could not survive off a 220V gfi...

What do you mean by this, please?

#108847 08/30/01 06:12 AM
S
Dspark,
these subs are all fed via triplex, the N&G are bonded...there is a G-rod beneath. To assumeably pull a 215-9 via 2-pole 60A GFI to this would not work for 110V loads.

#108848 01/20/04 08:03 PM
S
An update....
I attend this fair every year, and have watched as this system, which is energized by the poco for one week a year, degrade bit by bit, increasing the potential for the next Greyson Yoe.
Some can pick out the hazards, most simply walk by them…

I had, at the time made some noise about this in my state, unfortunately my state only inspects ‘complex structures’ here. This was a very unpopular change brought about by none other than the cable tv cabal’s manipulation of legislation, the crux being their pole mounted meter/mains & x-formers.

All the people i e-mailed these photos to, and talked to in the state agreed to the hazard here, yet claimed their hands were politically tied. A few hinted to me that volume constituted clout, insinuating outsiders en masse’ holding the greater trump card.

It’s mighty hard to place a positive spin on something like this, because as the years go by for me and my mates in ems, certain incidents leaves one inevitably questioning the repetitiveness of those who fall through the cracks in the system , and yes it gets ‘political’ wheather we like it or not.

And as we all know, questioning authority can be inherently negative, nobody is popular doing so , yet is a necessary component of critique , just as it is debate here.
Short of this, we assume a nuetral position of perpetual shock amounting to nothing more than an awe gee or say it ain’t so.

Pointing out that there is a problem to these sorts is the first step to a solution , acting on it via a group consensus could be right here, at our fingertips…

Just a thought...... ~S~

#108849 01/21/04 08:18 AM
P
It might not be much consolation, but the bureaucratic/political mind seems to work the same the world over. They'll constantly come up with excuses why nothing can be done about something as bad as this mess at your fair, yet will be all too eager to jump on the latest safety bandwagon over some trivial little matter.

Hey, just throw an AFCI or two into that panel -- That should make everything safe, right? [Linked Image]

#108850 01/21/04 02:16 PM
Pointing out that there is a problem to these sorts is the first step to a solution , acting on it via a group consensus could be right here, at our fingertips…
Sparky,

Seems like a smart lawyer would have a field day if somebody got hurt here.

Who is the POCO? I wonder if they've considered their liability for energizing this sort of thing?

Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard