ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#108553 02/12/04 02:00 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I am doing an office building remodel (about 30% of the building gutted out) for a very well off client, although from the looks of the electrical work they keep the money for themselves.

Picture one shows a typical ceiling of one of six electric rooms, that red fire alarm cable is a mix of initiating, notification and door holder circuits.

[Linked Image]

Picture two shows the 2" fire alarm riser as it enters the first floor electric room from the slab and enters a 12" x 12" J-Box, once I opened this J-Box I found that the 1 1/4" riser is stuffed with 480/277 and 208/120 circuits.

[Linked Image]

Picture three shows a close up of this well packed box about 60 - 14 AWG fire alarm conductors along with a number of line voltage conductors.

[Linked Image]

Pictures four and five show the panel you can see the 2" riser coming in the bottom and the number of cans added on the sides for elevator recall, door lock release, RTU shut down, and off site security monitoring relays.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am supposed to connect more to this mess for the areas under renovation, the panel has two signal circuits one has shown trouble for as long as anyone on site remembers.

Not shown is a booster panel added in another remodel that is also in trouble but the trouble contacts are not wired to the main panel so that does not show up until you look for it.

Every box I have looked at has no cover sometimes no wire nuts just the solids twisted together, at least 3 ground faults so far.

The only up side is we are pricing a total replacement fire alarm system.

I have some work ahead of me.

Bob
(iwire)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
Does the FD ever inspect these alarms?

Is it the blue wire you're always supposed to cut, or was it the yellow one? I forget.

C
Time to bring this thread back to life...

Bob, any idea how the FA and line voltage circuits got mixed? I can hear the conversation: "There's still some room left in this riser. Just run the 480 through here." [Linked Image]

Peter
I
Both risers originate in the main electric room, the 2" from the FACP and the 1 1/4" from the 'house' 208 panel that is also used as a raceway for the 'house' 480 panel.

Both of these risers come up out of the slab about a foot apart in an electrical closet.

My guess is during the rough someone assumed these two risers where a 208 riser and a 480 riser and saw no problem in mixing them.

Once they started pulling wire they must have found the mistake and nippled another can on the side as the FA junction box.

I have now got the system up and running with no faults, this box remains.

We are bidding to install a 100% new FA system, it will be an addressable system in place of this 36 Zone system and will get all new conductors for both initiating and notification circuits.

As it is a building in use the old system has to be maintained operational until the new one is inspected, as a result in the end these old FA risers will be abandoned.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
as a result in the end these old FA risers will be abandoned

Thank Goodness! The 1 year anniversary of the Station nightclub fire [Linked Image] got me thinking about fire alarms again, and what a travesty it is to see such a mess!

Peter
S
Hey CT... Where are you located?

C
I'm in Guilford, down on the shore. (Just east of New Haven.) Myself and my immediate family have been here since 1998.

I was born and raised in Rhode Island though, that's why I mentioned the Station fire.

Peter

Peter
P
Bob
You mentioned that the existing wiring will be abandoned. Is your company planning on or being required to remove the existing alarm wiring?

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
iwire,
Good deal. I sure hope the owner accepts your proposal. It would be great to know that this was gone/fixed.
Keep us informed. (maybe an "after" picture?)
...S

I
They tell us it will happen in September, as much as they are happy with our work this job will be put out to bid, I can not blame them it will be expensive.

I know the engineers have produced a specification package of some 40-50 pages, beyond that it will be design build.

The solid 14 THHNs in the raceways I would if I was running the job would probable leave in place.

The tangled mess of low energy cable that spiders out through the building I would remove.

In, the areas under renovation now I already ripped 99% of the old plenum cable out and replaced it with FA MC.

This was a choice by myself with the blessing of the my PM, the contract was to reuse existing devices and wiring, as we have warranty the work I felt it was worth it to replace the old wiring.

I was also finding many "T" taps off of the class A notification zones. [Linked Image]

It really bothers me to see life safety systems improperly wired. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard