ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 331 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
I found 'tips' from the field to be more of a practical asset .

One so simple...is in energizing, place hand on switch/breaker/disco at arm's length, turn face away, turn on.

G
Sparky,
Perfect advice, I use to give my apprentices one more piece of advice for that one. POINT YOUR LEGS IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Yup, that causes a wierd twist, but here's why.

An arc flash causes an immediate "flight" response in the body. I've known men, and read reports, where the guy runs right into the flash, 'course the bigger the disco/switchgear, the worse this becomes. I always practice and teach them to turn their legs, if something happens at least their turned away from the danger. Wierd but true......hey, that could be a forum here [Linked Image]

Bill ?????

[This message has been edited by George Corron (edited 06-23-2002).]

P
There will always be the more complicated issues, but I think a lot of basic safety comes down to using the common sense God gave you, e.g. cut away from you, don't overstretch yourself from the top of a ladder, never assume that a circuit is dead, etc.

Have any of you seen the series of Disney cartoons "Goofy's Freeway Troubles" and those that followed? I wish they'd done a similar series with Goofy as the slow-witted electrician -- That could've been hilarious, but I'm sure that a lot of safety messages would have gotten through as well. [Linked Image]

Whew! Have mercy on me, Lord! I took the little road trip that I mentioned above, and the office in San Antonio is in some gosh-awful condition. It's so bad, that I don't even want to get involved. Well, my plans are to go take care of the "major" issues, and come back at different times to fix the other things. It was down right depressing to see such a mess. On the drive back to Houston, I had a few hours to think. I realized that I can't fix, in two weeks, with a few hundred bucks, the problems that have been created over the last several years. I mused, "Rome wasn't built in a day." The trouble comes into play when you have to "tear Rome down", and then try to rebuild it.

Hail Ceasar,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
S
I found 'tips' from the field to be more of a practical asset

slap me for not mentioning you guys, thanks George!
( and no, i don;t care if i look like some sort of a stork on acid trying it out)
[Linked Image]

One so simple...is in energizing, place hand on switch/breaker/disco at arm's length, turn face away, turn on.

Spark,
I would also add that I will often stand to the side of whatever I'm energizing. I do this especially with large disconnects. It just seems to me that if something does "blow", standing off to the side will give you more of a "glancing" blow than if you were standing directly in front of it.

She's "glancing" my direction,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard