ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#108514 03/30/04 01:04 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
flying splice above new install

- richard

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
What's with all the wire-nuts in there? I am really not sure, but is that against code also. I have always been told to keep wire-nuts out of a panel and that an inspector does not like to see that.

Can anyone confirm if that is a violation also or if it is just common practice?

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

C
GAapprentice,

The wire connectors are not against code at all, as long as they don't fill more than 75 % of the cross-sectional area of the panelboard. See 312.8 of the 2002 NEC. That does not appear to be a problem in this picture.

An inspector may not like to see the wirenuts, but there's nothing he can do about it. [Linked Image]

Peter
J
It is a shame that 'neat and workmanlike' is unenforceable. To see a new install that looks this poor I can't find an excuse for. I certainly wouldn't feel that I got my monies worth had I paid either a employee or contracted the work.

N
I know it says new install, but that really looks like a combination of a panel replacement with new circuits (the colored romex) added. That would explain all the wire nuts to extend the old stuff. I guess the flying splice was too short to make it into the panel... It also looks like some of the cable clamps have more than the one allowed piece of romex in them.
/mike

And then there's the issue of the staples

our company was called after the inspector red tagged the splice. This panel is a 200 amp upgrade from the old 100 that was there. I would have to guess that this was a green helper that did this, because the outside looks fine. It was a shame the customer didn't call us first.

E
Is this really that bad? Splice excluded, it looks not much different than the average service upgrade.

D
When I redid Grandma's service (see pics here https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000444.html

I was originally going to install a gutter to terminate the NM into, then use 3/4" EMT nipples to the new CB Panel with THHN inbetween. Luckily there was enough line to play with where I didn't wind up "extending" every run w/wirenuts, and was able to install the new panel in a good spot.

The only possible violation I can see (other than the flier, and possible 12AWG extensions of 14AWG NM conductors - L side of panel) is multiple NM's per connector at the top of the panel box (3rd from right side)...

Agree it is ugly [Linked Image] ...

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 03-31-2004).]

N
I just noticed the white wire on the upper left 220V breaker...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard