ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#108453 04/17/04 08:27 PM
I
iwire Offline OP
This service was right off a main road about a mile from my house.

It stayed this way for at least a month, then it was as far as I can tell just been screwed back in place.

I was afraid to get to close to it when I took my pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OT but does anyone think the temporary support for the roof over hang is a little small? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 04-17-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#108454 04/17/04 09:02 PM
L
LK Offline
Bob,
We see this all the time, siding contractors try to be the lowest bidder, most of them just pull the meter pan and lateral away from the house, and leave it that way.
Brain dead to the hazzards involved, one contractor working for an area box store, told his guy were not paying an electrician just to remove the box, so he had his helper pull the meter pan off the wall, the fire department arrived first, they were busy trying to help the injured worker, the home was pretty much gone.
Injured worker, lost home, law suit, Ya, he din't need an electrician.

#108455 04/18/04 06:24 AM
I
iwire Offline OP
Oh yeah I do see the hanging services quite often, [Linked Image] what really bothered me was the bottom raceway broken out at a 90 degree angle.

When I was an apprentice the guy I worked for put the services back up that a siding contractor pulled down, most times we would sell a new service at the same time. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#108456 04/19/04 08:18 PM
C
Hey Bob, that looks all too familiar. many of the vinyl wraps seem to leave this in their wake.

My friends house has their meter socket held down only by the 2 SEU straps above and below the meter. [Linked Image]
Thanks a lot, "home improvement" contractor. [Linked Image]

Peter
#108457 04/20/04 01:45 PM
C
Float the pan? No problem. I replaced my Bilco cellar entry with a real, stick built entryway last fall. The meter pan was -um- attached to the side of the old 2X6 picture frame they hung the Bilco on with two 8-32 machine screws and about a quart of roofing tar from the caulking job. Called POCO for a standard 6hr disco/reconnect. Linemen showed up at 8:30, opened the pan and floated it instead, said they'd be back at 2:00 to reattach. (Good thing it was cold so the tar shattered.) This was first week in October. They finally got around to reattaching the pan the day before Thanksgiving. Didn't have a seal until New Years. "It ain't just the carpenters and vinyl guys."

#108458 04/20/04 08:22 PM
L
LK Offline
Cobtronics,
Around here it is the carpenters and vinyl guys, The utility companies in this area don't install service equipment, we install the meter pan, and it takes about 20 minutes for a UG install and about 1-1/2 for an OH install, I can't believe a utility company would leave a hazzard like that, what utility company do you have?

Link Copied to Clipboard