Tom:

Correct me if i'm wrong but couldn't this installation been done by running the nipple from the service equipment right into the back of the MLO panel?

I was wondering the same thing when first saw this setup!
Then when Ryan posted the 2nd "Series" image - the one showing the Service Equipment, it became even more odd; as the use of a short, close Nipple would not only make a very clean install, but reduce the materials costs, reduce the installation / labor burden, and eliminate the "need" for that "Crazy Sub Feeder" shown in the first image!

But then again, we here (in this Forum) Install Service equipment and Panelboards + Feeders often, and on a larger scale - as our normal Career tasks, so (for me at least) things like this seem very odd.

To the extreme Novice - such as the one(s) installing the equipment shown in this thread, these items may very well be out of their abilities base ("shouldn't even touch the stuff"), and become highly ambiguous!

Trying not to laugh alot, the fact remains - the install is just plain funny!

Would have loved to witness the initial reaction of Ryan, when He first saw this!

Something in the line of:

[Linked Image] & [Linked Image]

At the same time seems likely!

Kind of not related, but still funny story, was when I showed these images to a Friend - to see His reaction.

Of course, the reaction was "WHADDAHECK!!!"

After explaining the topic a bit (and that Ryan is an Inspector), my Friend mentioned a little dispute with an Inspector on a recent Residential Service upgrade.

The Water Line from the Street / Meter to the house had been replaced with Non-Metallic Pipe, and the Water Meter was about 50 feet from the Point Of Entrance for the Water Line to the Structure.

Inspector was informed of this, yet still required the incoming water line - within 5 feet of entrance to the building, to be included with the Grounding Electrode System.

He (my Friend) did not know how to rectify this communication breakdown between himself and the Inspector, as the complete scenario had been discussed several times to no avail.

I suggested the "Default Joke Answer" per bonding Non-Metallic Water Pipes to the GES; which of course is to run a minimum 1/4" Polyethylene Yellow Pull Rope from the Plastic Water Pipe to the Service Equipment, and to Terminate the Rope to the Plastic Pipe with Plastic Zip Ties.

After explaining that the point will be made upon seeing the sillyness of the Pull Rope Conductor (as long as it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to do!), he decided to do the demonstration.

The whole thing worked, as once the Inspector saw what was going on, he realized why the Water Line was not included with the GES.

Must have made the guy laugh his butt off too!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!