ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#108298 05/13/04 11:51 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I took these photos when investigating problems with some outdoor receptacles. Apparently someone installed the Romex to bypass a defective run of UF cable. The photos reveal many violations.

- electricman2
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(submitted via Joe Tedesco)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Is it just me, or does this whole installation look like something that was meant to be "temporary" sometime around oh,....1978?? I think I'm seeing NM-B coming from the PVC conduit in the first pic also! [Linked Image] Seeing that this is obviously along a street also, I should assume the deadfront is missing from the subpanel? No ground bar, open KO's, missing parts, Romex outdoors, open J boxes...All out in public? Someone's looking to get sued! even arrested depending on what state this is! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Electricman2, the responsible party(ies) are letting you fix this crap, I hope!?!!

-Randy

PS... Bet $1 that the original UF cable was less than 8 inches underground! [Linked Image]

-

R
It looks like yellow 12 AWG NM cable, which makes me think this wasinstalled in the last year or two. ::mad

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 05-14-2004).]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Man!. [Linked Image]
Someone was in a hurry when they done this job.
It just screams of poor quality. [Linked Image]
Randy,
I think you may have won that bet. [Linked Image]

E
The yellow cable is indeed NMB Romex. It is buried for about 15 feet from the panel to the box in pic 1. There are 5 of these boxes with receptacles to serve vendors equipment during street festivals etc. All of them are in bad condition, device screws broken or missing, broken covers etc. Randy mentioned no ground bar. This is service equipment. The meter can is above the panel out of the picture. Also I removed the deadfront to take the picture. I am going to suggest they remove the whole thing and start over. This is one of those situations where "temporary" quipment became permanent

John

Link Copied to Clipboard