ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#108280 05/13/04 11:26 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Spotted these beauties at a local auto shop while assisting a Fire Department Inspector on an annual business inspection... of course, the last "annual" was in 2000!

The first pic is what we found 10' inside the door - it's a GFCI and it's cover hanging by the conductors @ 24" AFF...

[Linked Image]

The second pic is of the "shop lighting" that pre-dated the current owner - seems the previous mechanic ran 1/2" EMT up from 1900's, and just ran the 14/3 cord down into the box through it. Had to explain to the Inspector the concept of "listing" and "use as designed" as expressed in the Code.

[Linked Image]

The third pic is of a 220 receptacle 6" off a workbench.

[Linked Image]

More to follow.

- DougW

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#108281 05/13/04 11:35 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
The fourth pic of the series shows a 12" x 12" x 4" J-box that got left open "somehow". Hate to bump into this ugly with a load of tools in my hands...

[Linked Image]

The last pic is of the lights over the shop office - they are 8' FL's suspended by jack chains - and fed by totally unsupported pieces of 1/2" EMT.

[Linked Image]

I didn't manage to get a pic of the "jiffy box" next to the water soaked concrete steps to the basement that had two pieces of 14 AWG Cu sticking out of it stripped and hooked - guess the switch must have been of more use somewhere else!

It's really difficult when I assist on inspections to not "accidentally" drop business cards at places like these... Little phrases like "conflict of interest" keep popping up. <sigh>

- DougW

#108282 05/14/04 02:30 AM
The sad truth, none of this really suprises me anymore! [Linked Image] Why is it that people don't pick up on the fact that when you see things like this, for their own good & also those around them, they might want to take care of these things as they happen!! [Linked Image] My 4 year old son would recognize the outlets hanging by the wires as something that should receive expedited attention!, I'll bet they've been that was for quite some time! [Linked Image]

The 12/12/4 can looks like you'd need something hydraulic or pneumatic to even get the cover closed! As SvenNYC once said.. "It should be labeled 'Caution, contents under pressure!'"

Doug, how many pages did the correction notice end up at? (Longest I've had a customer come to me with is 11! [Linked Image] )

-Randy

#108283 05/14/04 04:24 PM
T
I didn't manage to get a pic of the "jiffy box" next to the water soaked concrete steps to the basement that had two pieces of 14 AWG Cu sticking out of it stripped and hooked - guess the switch must have been of more use somewhere else!

Tell me that ain't true! [Linked Image]

The 12/12/4 can looks like you'd need something hydraulic or pneumatic to even get the cover closed! As SvenNYC once said.. "It should be labeled 'Caution, contents under pressure!'"

ROFLMAO!

All that just can't be true...

#108284 05/14/04 07:12 PM
Doug,
Great pics!.
It would make you think that they'd never heard of the concept of screws, to hold covers on, in that Auto shop.
Isn't that halogen lamp in the second pic supposed to be used as a portable appliance?
That's a scary looking J-box, if I saw something like that on a job, I'd run a mile!.
If this was the last guys attempt at Electrical work, I'd hate to get my car fixed there. [Linked Image]

#108285 05/14/04 07:30 PM
R
In Canada, is that considered to be a hazardous (classified) location?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#108286 05/16/04 04:20 PM
C
Yes Ryan, an automobile repair shop is a classified location in Canada. Basically the floor and the space 2 inches above the floor as well as any pits and depressions in the floor are a Class 1 Zone 2, or a Class 1 Division 2 location. There are some restrictions on electrical used above the the Class 1 Zone 2 location.

#108287 05/18/04 04:52 PM
D
Yes, it's a "portable shop light" that was "hard mounted".

Since most of the work was done by the previous owner, the Fire Inspector let the new owner off with 2 pages worth of "30 day correction" notice.

He'll be back in about 45 days, and if there's no improvement, he'll red tag the place. That's when he'll need me to quote "chapter and verse" for the electric aspect.

I've got to get a digi cam with better memory and res... you guys wouldn't believe this place.. (on second thought, you probably would [Linked Image] )engine blocks laying on the floor, tools and parts scattered all over, 2lb "kitchen" extinguishers (with no pins or tags) hangin on the walls in place of 10Lb'rs, a fine layer of sanding / painting overspray everywhere. Yeesh. And a timber bowstring truss roof in the rear of the shop!

I think my former Lt. put it nicely - if we can't hit it fast with a (small) handline, that building's gonna go to the ground, and we'll watch it do so, due to the hazard.

Link Copied to Clipboard