ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
electricians wearing steel toe boots. This company that I just started working for about 4 weeks ago has a new safety director. A new policy has just been instituted. Everyone must wear steel toes. Should I bite my lip, shut up, and do what I'm told, bite my nails, or in the spirit of Mike Tyson, bite off the safety director's ear? On top of that, I like my Red Wings, and I don't want to give them up. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Don't let me die with my boots on,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
A
Doc, I hate to say it but I held a company meeting on monday where the first issue on the memo was about wearing steel toe boots. With the OSHA man lurking around the corner and the insurance man hiding in the trees I had no choice but to enforce it. Sorry to give you the boot.

B
On the boots—any offers by the company to compensate for some of the expense?

{IMO, they do not interfere with any electrical-safety issues.}

S
steel toes get cold...... [Linked Image]

M
to All:
Not only do they get cold in the wintertime in a steel-mill they can be very detrimental to your toes.
They are designed to protect the toes from 'stuff' dropped on them but are not much protection when pressure is applied such as a crushing force from a hydraulic ram such as crane, they can also act like a Guillotine.
I got my toes caught in such a freak acccident and had I not yelled and the operator stopped the crane and reversed direction the Da*%ed steel toe would have cut my toes off as it was I broke 3 of them, I am convinced with regular shoes I would have sensed the pressure earlier.
Freak accidents happen all the time in industry, but they havnt changed their policy and any violation of it the employer can get heavily fined by OSHA.
I am not a great believer in them but I dont like fines either, so until the rules are changed, you are probably stuck,,,,,

-Mark-

The company is going to pay for our boots. This little piggy went to market.
This little piggy stayed home.
This little piggy had roast beef.
This little piggy had none.
This little piggy wore steel toe boots all the way home.

With cold footed regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
M
Watt Doctor,

Here in Detroit we love our Red Wings too! [Linked Image]

MikeW

G
Unfortunately, I have to be the bearor of bad news here. Luckily most of the companies I've worked for used "tech" toes, not steel toes, but I have had to use the steel also.
but look at this letter from OSHA on the subject:

June 18, 1993

Wayne Marryatt
538492 Ellis #1
Huntsville, Texas 77343

Dear Mr. Wayne Marryatt:

The Directorate of Compliance Programs received your undated letter on June 15 that requested information about protective footwear>>.

OSHA does not generally consider the wearing of steel-toe shoes by electrical tradesmen to be hazardous, so long as the conductive portion of the shoe is not in contact with the employee's foot and is not exposed on the outside of the shoe. One option you and your employer may wish to consider is the purchase of safety <<footwear>> that has been manufactured in accordance with section 4 "Electrical Hazard <<Footwear" of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z41 document. Enclosed are copies of the OSHA and ANSI standards that are applicable to your inquiry.

Your letter has been forwarded to the OSHA Regional Office that has the jurisdiction for your workplace.

Should you need further assistance the OSHA Regional Office, VI, is located at:

525 Griffin Square Building
Room 602
Dallas, Tx. 75202
214-767-4731.

We appreciate your interest in employee safety and health.

Sincerely,

B
doc,always enjoy your posts.I work for hl&p we must wear steel toed and puncture resistant. this consists of a stainlees steel insert sewn into boot sole.nice conductive medium while climbing in high voltage areas.

B
Possibly applicable hits at: google.com/search?q=red+wing+steel-toed+boots

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard