ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#108248 05/04/04 09:07 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Found this running a Coca Cola vending machine at a gas station... about 10-15 feet from the pumps! Its wired into the gutter..

-Randy (Lostazhell)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
I love the juxtaposition of having that extension-cord abomination sitting right next to the seal-offs for the explosion proof work, which was done to help guarantee everything was perfectly safe.

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 05-05-2004).]

One thing I didn't know about until I'd read another thread. https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000524.html
Apparently, these guys should be 20' or more away from the pumps [Linked Image] compressors are in the bottoms & they're all but the width of your average car from a pump island... I seem to find things like that all too common around here... Especially at the "No-serve" gas stations that just have the tiny booth with the bullet-proof windows...

-Randy

D
Maybe with the amount of improperly installed electrical equipment in the "Class I Group D" area, it's not bulletproof glass...

It's explosionproof!

J
Considering the gutter, and the seal-off positions, this was considered by someone to be outside the classified area.
UL does classify some vending machines (and ATM's, etc.) for use in these locations. As I understan it, UL's main criteria is that the connections, etc., be a certain distance (18"?) above grade.

It's really a good pic of something I haven't seen for a while- a receptacle made to fit in a conduit body.

That orange extension cord is a puzzler, though. I'd sure like to know where it went. It looks like running the cord was more work than doing it right would have been.

B
If there was an {16/3 SJT 100-foot} orange cord spanning rafters—plugged into the pigtail—then all that’s missing is the coke machine out on an island, right next to the gas pump. ;-)

The extension cord is actually wired into the wiring in the gutter! I use this gas station almost daily just because its right off the freeway where traffic usually jams up! the cord enters an open KO in the bottom of the gutter... Next time I'm there I'll sneak another photo to see what the underside of the gutter shows..
As far as being listed for the Hazardous location, wouldn't the compressor be on the top of the machine? I've seen them that way before...

-Randy

Broom Pusher and
Randy;

This Gasoline Station looks kind of familiar!
Maybe you could pass on a "hint" as to which offramp and freeway this place is near.

Also, the Refrigerated Vending Machines I have dealt with always had the Hermetically Sealed Compressor located in the lower most part of the unit.
Seems to me they would never fit the classification for an explosion proof scenario!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott....
Hints... Hmmm... I have an "orange ball" on my antenna from this place... North I-405 from Orange County... Get off at the street that translates to "Green Wood".. Look south [Linked Image]

-Randy

PS... It's only about 2 miles into LA County..

Link Copied to Clipboard