ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#108181 05/22/04 12:24 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
heres some pics of a "garage lights not working" call I took today...Is it just me, or is there an access issue with the 4S box? [Linked Image]

-Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

It's just you, dude [Linked Image] Simple You're supposed to cut the rafter tie with a sawzall to get access to the box.
The yellow romex (?) looks pretty recent.

Is that some kind of ground wire coming out the rt top of that loadcenter?

Scott,
The yellow wire is actually another extension cord... (I find these yellow flat cords attached to garage door openers constantly!) I'm starting to think they were sold with the openers! [Linked Image] The white wire coming from the FPE is attached to the neutral bus, goes out of the panel & swings in the breeze! Which BTW, the subpanel is doing as well... It's being held by a couple conduits, about 2 inches off the wall! [Linked Image]

-Randy

B
Maybe they didn't have a 1900 blank so they decided to use that truss as a permanent box cover...?

Was that piece of conduit loose and hanging or is that just the way to do an off-set without a bender...?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 05-22-2004).]

S
What's that strangely shpaed plaster ear used for? It says "KEY" on it, what's it a key to? Also, are those scotchlocks sticking out of an electric garage door opener?

Hey Randy?,
Why are there cables at that receptacle, with a ground conductor, but there are no Ground wires at the Panel?.
Hmm... [Linked Image]

BigJohn... While the conduit was just kinda swinging on a few pieces of tie-wire, I'd go along with bypassing the offset as well! there's another half of a ¾ compression connector where the romex is coming out of the 4S (or 1900) box...
Which leads to Mike's observation... The romex at the receptacle (I opened it this way, grounds not attached to anything in the box) pops out the wall where the rafter goes in, the romex ends up at the upside down J-box, then goes conduit to the sub-panel..
Sparked... The funky "Eagle" outlet with the key plaster ears are for removing the wires from the "push & pray" connections... The pointy part of the ear can be stuck into the wire release slot... I've never had to use em.. snip, strip, loop, new outlet [Linked Image]

-Randy

D
Aww, c'mon guys.

Everybody knows they put that "nekkid" copper wire in the Romex as an extra, in case you cut your conductors just a little bit short! [Linked Image]

BTW - love the 1900!

W
just gotta show love for that old federal pacifc panel. hehehehehehe

M
One of these days these darn device manufacturers are going to put back-stab holes on these receptacles for the ground conductor, and eliminate the problem in picture #1. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard