ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I went on a prebid job walk, and saw this example of cheapskate maintenance. The first picture is the top of a well. The others are in the underground control room that has water chemicals and part or the storage tank in it

nesparky

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 06-06-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Here are some more!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
This is one of the reasons people think 'real' electricians are too expensive. A low ball 'person' (for lack of a better term on a sunday morning) will come in there and do the work for practically nothing and make it work - no safety or professionalism at all.

Now Nesparky comes to the job ... what does he do?
I would not touch this with a 10 foot pole, unless I was PAID to replace all of the work that was previously installed in violation. Walk away with my integrity and loss of time or show these people what a good electrician can do.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
I
We are all different, for one I am not the boss I can not choose where I will and will not work.

That aside I would have no problem installing code compliant wiring in this location and ignoring the rest of the junk work.

I am not an inspector and unless the customer wants me to fix it I will ignore it. (Yes there is a cut off point to that) My refusal to do code compliant wiring in this space will not fix the other work and will only result in the customer getting a fly by nighter to add more dangerous wiring.

My integrity will still be intact as the work I do will meet code.

When the inspector comes in they can determine if things need fixing, and if they have the authority to make it happen.

In the end we should be happy that this customer that normally allows hack work to be done is now hiring a professional.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
I'll side with Bob.

I get a lot of situations like this,and if I refused to do ANY work unless I could replace the bad stuff I'd be in foul shape for work sometimes.

What I do in a situation like this is document all the code violations I can see,and leave it up to the customer as to repairs. I also document carefully what We are asked to do,and have started taking pictures of before and after,and documenting the work that WE do.

Being as there's no ahj in my home county this is the best we can do. The "all or nothing" approach will work for some in different parts of the country,but not here.

Russell

cheapskate maintenance?? This is outright dangerous!!! This place obviously gets wet at least on the floor... The romex extension cord cap ended thing wrapped around the compressor could fall into water on this floor.. Since its hardwired (If you wanna call it that)... Someone's gonna end up crispy down here! [Linked Image] another orange cord wired into the 4S box..
With the danger to life factor I'm seeing here, I'm on Pierre's side! I add something down here, code compliant & all, & then something goes wrong with the hack crap.. Who's gonna get the subpoena? Me with my business or Joe Handyman who's already moved on to new victims! [Linked Image]

-Randy

I
Randy given what you said what would you do?

I do not worry in the least about being sued for work I did not do.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
P
My statement was and is that I will not take the new work unless they paid for me (or someone else) to fix the 'dangerous' and non-compliant existing work. Everybody has different tolerances for their daily 'routines', I was very fortunate to have enough work the last 25 years that I could walk away from this kind of mess.

These photos show not only bad work, but dangerous work. IF you were to complete new work, if it is filed for (permit), the AHJ should do something about this. But there are many jurisdictions that do not require licenses or permits (I cannot understand why), then I believe that a legitimate installer is still taking a huge liability in his/her hands if not fixing the existing work. Why not walk away? Do you think they really are concerned about your 'quality' work if they do not want the existing fixed?
I am not fooled by smiling faces these days.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
P
When I first started my business, I did do some work without a permit (no inspections). I really thought I was getting over on the unsuspecting building departments. As the years went by, I realized the only person who may benefit was the customer, and that is not always the case either. About 5 years ago I started filing all of my work, losing only a couple of small jobs as the customer did not want to file the work. I never felt like a thief in the night after that.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
I
Pierre I do not want to start something but I have to say I feel insulted.

Apparently I am a thief in the night, or have lost my integrity.

Walking away is not my choice, I do the job I am assigned.

Walking away when given the choice is the easy way out.

You know the expression "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

Well when I get handed a bad job I make the best of it, establish a relationship with the customer.

You guarantee nothing will change at this location if you do 'walk away'.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard