ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#107995 06/25/04 12:35 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I am a Licensed Journeyman Electrician living in Colorado. I live in a condo and our association hosted a walk through last week to discuss items needing repair. I pointed out the following and our manager dismissed them either as not being a priority or too expensive to repair.

This is EMT falling off a fence after a snowstorm last year. Still not repaired, must not be important. This particular fence surrounds a tennis court featuring lights wired with MC Cable. I'm still trying to get inside the tennis court because the lock is broken. I fear this fence might soon become energized.
[Linked Image]
This picture shows a light's conduit run stubbed through an air vent. Notice the set screw fittings used in a wet location.
[Linked Image]
These 2 photos show a light sensor attached to a disconnect. The disconnect has been left open, there are wirenuts and conductors overfilling the disconnect box.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
These pictures show a mystery cord in a wet location. The cord cap doesn't look very well assembled.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This photo shows an open gutter in an outside location.
[Linked Image]
Another open junction box, no grounds, partially buried.
[Linked Image]
Two photos showing an open junction box less than a foot from our pond. Notice wrong cover on top junction box facing up.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good Lord Topher!
All from the same place??? Joe Tedesco could shoot a full-length documentary here! [Linked Image] You state you're in Colorado, so I'm assuming this all gets buried in snow part of the year [Linked Image] ... I'd either sit down & have a nice talk with the AHJ, or move! This is getting a bit insane! Whoever went around installing the photo sensors should be tossed in that pond! [Linked Image] The 4S box in pics 5-7 isn't exactly N3R rated either! [Linked Image]

-Randy

B
Whoever went around installing the photo sensors should be tossed in that pond!
Judging by the quality of that electrical work, that pond is probably energized. Touching the water would mean instant death. [Linked Image]

I'd be worried about getting too close to the boxes in pictures 9-11; packed full of dirt and covered in moisture, everything within a couple feet could be energized by leakage current. [Linked Image]

I wonder how many more death traps are behind closed doors or hidden in the walls? [Linked Image]

-John

T
There is still another round of photos where MC cable has been used outdoors with emt improperly hung from a chain link fence to wire an outdoor tennis court, leaving a potentially energized fence. Joe, ya bring your video camera. Last night the homeowner's association was hosting a meeting, I was going around snapping pictures using a flash while the meeting was in session...in clear view of participants. I'm sure the manager loves me even more now. Next week I was thinking of directing my neighbors to this website after all the photos are posted and we all have a chance to comment.

B
Whew! I would submit that it may be time to really start considering that new house in the country.

If they haven't listened to you yet, they probably won't. And let's face it; if they have to be forced into doing the repairs by a court or government agency it will only change what is wrong now, subsequent work will most likely be just as shoddy.

It would appear that the $ is king with these people.

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
One More:

[Linked Image]

E
e57 Offline
This place is the Energizer bunny of violations! Going, and going, and going.........

So have you found out who does all of this work? If one should call it that!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
These are really bad and dangerous, and I suspect that the resident wannabe elec-trick-shion did the work!

Typical, and the owners should hire someone to fix all of the hazards too.

What would the local inspection department think?

Is there a complaint line?

I could use these pictures to show some of the problems we face everywhere, and they are all "man made" and truly classics!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

Link Copied to Clipboard