ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#107951 06/25/04 01:57 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I am an EE student working at Taco Bell. I know little about code compared to an electrician, but I know what is in the attached pics is wrong.
Pic#1 is a #10 spliced to a #14 Both stranded. The wire cap melted
Pic#2 and #3 Tie together. in 3, the new outlet is plugged into another outlet. From here, the hot and neutral are reversed. in the flex, the hot was meant to be green and neutral white, but since it was reversed, the green is neut and white is hot. It then goes into the timer in pic 2. Since the reversal, the neutral is switched. This somehow feeds a fan in the fry hood that is on a pressure switch so that the timer shuts off the fan and the pressure switch shuts off equipment. Also notice the "extra" wire coming from the timer. I'm not 100% sure of how the setup works, being that i dont know where all the wires go.
Richard, the repair guy, refused to fix the wire nut, elec tape used as KO covers, and scotch tape used as a breaker lockout. He installed this timer mess.
I have a question. If I were to report it, do I report it to OSHA ot the local Electrical Inspector. Is there something in the labor laws that prevents employers from retalliating on employees who report such violations. I can't give an anonymous report since I am the only one in the restaurant that knows any electrical stuff.

Thanks,
PEdoubleNIZZLE (Josh)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#107952 06/25/04 05:01 PM
:
Why does the guy _refuse_ to repair a molten wirenut??

Congratulations for working with an idiot [Linked Image]

#107953 06/25/04 05:31 PM
A
Sympathy is probably a better word.
might be a good idea to e-mail one of the top dogs at Taco and ask them to take a look at the webb site and alert them to the syco your working with.

#107954 06/25/04 08:07 PM
S
This somehow feeds a fan in the fry hood that is on a pressure switch so that the timer shuts off the fan and the pressure switch shuts off equipment.

This adds a whole new definition of "fry hood"!

This is downright scary. I second the suggestion of contacting the higher-ups at Taco Bell; obviously the person doing this never considered the possibility of endangering the lives of other people (just my opinion, of course).

[This message has been edited by Sir Arcsalot (edited 06-25-2004).]

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
#107955 06/25/04 08:52 PM
the hot and neutral are reversed. in the flex, the hot was meant to be green and neutral white, but since it was reversed, the green is neut and white is hot.

Josh, it should never be either way. The green's meant for equipment grounding purposes only.

#107956 06/26/04 06:22 AM
P
I know it should never be either way. By "it was meant to be..." I meant the repair guy wanted it that way.
I wrote him a nice note explaining to him the violations. I didnt use exact articles because I usually dont have a code book with me, but he is a certified electrician (I'd say he'scertified insane). Anyways, he read the note and replied "Thanks for the input, but you need to concentrate on food safety." Now I know you can get sick if you eat tacos with old cheese, but I'm sure electric shock can do much worse. I was afraid he was gonna "ghetto ground" this (connect the grounds to the neutrals) and since he accidentally switched the hot and neutral, the whole hood could have been a big hot wire, waiting for someone to touch it when the floor is wet (the sink is on a parallel wall 2 feet in front of it).
The repairman told me he could get me fired on charges of insubordination. He really doesnt have that power unless he lies to one of my higher up bosses (district manager). But he won't because he thinks that I will not report this, so he wont report my fight against evil wiring.

#107957 06/26/04 07:28 AM
I make it a habit (an unbreakable one) of looking at the electrical work in every place I go. Taco Bells are not "haywired" in this area, nor are any of the major fast food chain stores.
I'm sure that there must be a corporate policy in place with regards to employee safety, which this repairman has obviously broken. Is he a TB employee, or an outside contractor?

A letter sent to someone up the chain of command should at least get some attention. No large company like TB can afford to ignore safety complaints. I'd try that route, and if you don't get results, then OSHA would be a logical next step.

Yes, there are laws against retaliatory firing of an employee for "whistle blowing", but you might find yourself suddenly terminated for putting too much sour cream in a burrito or something stupid like that.

(BTW, the #10 connected to a #14 is not necessarily a violation, it would depend on the overcurrent protection and the load).

More power to you...S

#107958 06/26/04 08:06 AM
E
e57 Offline
My sentiments exactly, Scott. Blow that whistle! I would start tactfully with your store manager then work your way up.

I have come accross Hot on the outside appliances before, not too friedly to work around! Ironically, in a taco shop, where the dishwashers finally refused to work, because the Manager didn't believe them until I told him. Even then reluctantly paid for me to fix it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#107959 06/26/04 02:12 PM
D
YUM! Brands is committed to conducting its business in an ethical, legal and socially responsible manner. To encourage compliance with all legal requirements and ethical business practices, Yum has established this Supplier Code of Conduct (the "Code") for Yum's U.S. suppliers ("Suppliers").

From the "Tacobell.com/ourcompany" website.

Maybe someone should suggest they investigate another "Code"...

If you wanted to go "head to head" with the maintenance electrician (if he threatens your employment again) you might want to consider submitting pictures of his work (approved or performed) to his licensing Authority as a complaint.

[disclaimer] WARNING: THIS IS REALLY A "LAST STRAW" MEASURE, AS MESSING WITH SOMEONE'S LIVLIHOOD CAN GET YOUR BUTT KICKED.[/disclaimer]

However, notice the phrase I used above - his work (approved or performed). Here in northern IL (as in most AHJ's IIRC), an EC is responsible for work he performs or "signs off" on, that others have performed in his stead, or under his supervision. If he is saying the work at "worksite x" is up to Code (the National Electrical one [Linked Image] ), then he has to answer for any discoveries by an AHJ that it isn't.

BTW - check your store's local EC - here in my northern suburb, the minimum conductor size for any commercial or industrial occupancy 110 circuit is 12AWG...

#107960 06/26/04 04:25 PM
It could be a control wire, and not a conductor used for power. I often use #14-#18 in commercial lighting control cabinets.
Something else about this situation Josh, is that you need to be absolutely sure that you're right before you make waves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard