ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
(submitted by Joe Tedesco)
(picture 1) shows a 208/120V panelboard, typical of panelboards throughout the building. In addition to other violations, notice that the panel is not grounded, that neutrals and grounding conductors are freely mixed on the neutral bus, multiple-colored insulations on neutral bus, white used as a phase conductor in feeder, etc.
[Linked Image]
(picture 2) shows a Fernco plumbing coupling used on the service conductor raceways between a pad-mounted transformer and the service entrance switchgear. This is a 1200A 480V service.

Enjoy

Robert E. Brown
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

It's a pity that whoever did this must have known better, (note the Touch-Plate relay) but just had no ethics.
It looks like someone pulled the feeder as a 1Ø, and then, when they realized that it was 3Ø, just tried to make it work.
This job stinks.

P
It looks like someone pulled the feeder as a 1Ø
As in thinking it was a 120/240V panel? Sounds plausible from the feeders there. I don't know how long that feeder is, but how hard would it have been to just pull in another blue conductor and do the job properly? [Linked Image]

Any idea what that transformer on the top of the panel is feeding? And what's that gizmo to the right of it?

Even if the xfmr secondary is low voltage, the open wirenutted splices outside the panel are still very messy and I don't think much of the mounting and wiring method.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-22-2004).]

Scott,
That would be my guess also... The plumbing fitting is a nice touch! [Linked Image]
Pauluk,
The gizmo is a "Touch-Plate" relay.. Typically we find these in a pull can with about 20-30 other ones & a transformer to power them.... I've seen these things used here & there for all the switching in a house.. (Usually, a frustrated customer is asking to get rid of it!) Here's a link to their site... For the longest time, I thought they were out of biz.. I was wrong! http://www.touchplate.com

-Randy

E
If this is a 3phase panel then the green wire is being used as the grounded conductor, right? I like the set screw coupling on top too, the pipe must hav been a little short. [Linked Image]

John
C
Touchplate looks like a new version of those GE home control systems from the 1950s.

Touchplate was a competitor with those old GE systems. They've been around a long time.
Go check out a new GE LV lighting control, and you'll see they use the same relays as they used then.

Touchplate has a ratcheting relay that advances on-off etc, each time it's given a signal from the momentary switch, so it only needs 2 wires to connect it.
The GE's need separate on and off signals from the switch, so require 3 wires.

Link Copied to Clipboard