ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 284 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Got a night call to a fancy Italian restaurant in a trendy little area, used to be a house in 1928.. Lights went out in half the place.... I got there to find a 200A 240V service putting off excessive heat... After investigating I found that 1) the main was 225A 240V 2) the feeders were 250MCM AL with TW insulation (rated for 170A) 3) there was 217A/199A on that panel!! [Linked Image] Talks with SDG&E being initiated to bump the service to 400A & 86 the 200A panel & 2 other small subs in the same room for a 42 space 400A panel..
Other things found... Outlet in use IN the freezer!, open conduit runs, open boxes... this is gonna be fun!

-Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Randy, I re-double my earlier post, and bow to your "stuff magnet"-ism!

E
e57 Offline
I was once a magnet for the SF Bay area, I NOW REFUSE TO DO LATE TO DO LATE NIGHT SERVICE WORK! In that arena, you get all the wierd ones.... Depending on how big the Yellow Pages ad is. Guarantee you'll be there in an hour or less covering a 40 mile radius, you'll get all the resteraunts about to burn down, all the storm calls, and GFI resets too. Really interesting troubleshooting work though, never boring!

Lostazhell, I think I've been there, you must see some wacky stuff... That we don't get picture of?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
U
That last photo is just a dogs breakfast [Linked Image]

Jeez...I dunno how some get away with it!!

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
P
Randy
You crack me up [Linked Image]!
Your camera must be the busiest in the industry.
They should raze that place.

I made an inspection wednesday for a temp feeder for a job trailer. The feed was coming from the basement of a restaurant that was originally a house built in the 1800s.
I knew this was going to be bad, because as I was entering the basement, a dog came up behind me from nowhere and grabbed the back of my calf, not a good start. I could not stand in the basement; the wiring in the basement broke every conceivable NEC requirement [Linked Image]! The service they hooked up to was in violation as well - I did not pass the installation and told them if they connect to that service, they would have to comply with the NEC - I was lucky I got out without that damn dog biting me again. Sad part is I have to go back to inspect it again Monday, this time with spray, bring on that mangy mut [Linked Image]!!!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Pierre wrote:
Your camera must be the busiest in the industry.

I did have to get an extra set or rechargeable batteries since I came across ECN [Linked Image]
I've had run in's with dogs that were'nt too happy about me going in their backyards & such.. Carry a can of "Electra-Clean" (They dont like that stuff!) A 12" Mag Lite can curb a ferocious canine also if it really comes down to it!... HEY! Wait a Minute! Whats a dog doing in a restaurant???

Mark,
Plenty of celebrities have been to this place & left autographs... (Our governor being one of them..) It's on Pacific Coast Hwy in South Orange Co.... You still been there? [Linked Image] (Guy sent a TON of food home with me literally! Damn good Italian food for west coast!)
I try to snap a photo to share whenever I come across something everyone here might find provocative... To this date I've never had anyone object to the photos being taken [Linked Image]

UKSparky... I've no clue how they get away with it either! [Linked Image] But people still do whatever as long as it "works"

Doug... I always knew I'd be magnetic to something... For some its money, others its pretty girls.... Im magnetic to NEC violations... [Linked Image from click-smilies.de]

At least I found my niche! [Linked Image]

-Randy

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 08-15-2004).]

E
e57 Offline
Randy, I wasn't making assuptions about the quality of the place... Just late night service calls... Resturaunts really appreciate the fact that you may have kept them open for just one more day. I've gotten VIP Passes to clubs, free dinners, tons of food. A high-end sushi resturant here gave me a platter of sushi that I calculated up to about $300, plus some of the finest sake, and said here "throw a party on us."

The fact is, if I had not gone out there at thier dinner rush, they would have to close, and be out thousands in revenue for the night, and throw out everything in the reffers. You become thier hero, just keeping the power on...

The thing I didn't like about doing "Service" work was the driving, and late nights. (San Jose to Concord 24 hrs a day for a week, every forth week!)

Learned ALOT though! Because you come across the strangest stuff after 6PM...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
nahhh Mark, Just trying to drop hints cause you said you've been there [Linked Image] [Linked Image] (Personally I prefer sushi anyways [Linked Image] ) The driving is starting to wear on me too. I'm averaging about 3000+miles/month & piloting that behemoth Chevy Express around LA area traffic isn't what I'd call "pleasure driving"... I was all over San Diego yesterday, now it looks like theyre sending me to the Inland Empire today. (San Bernardino, ½ the outlets in a home have only 92V, to start...) So stay tuned... More electrical hi-jinx to come! [Linked Image]

-Randy

F
randy ,, you say 3,000 miles per month try my old shedule i have i rack up 6200 miles a month for all the crazy service call i have before that why i rack up alot of miles on my diesel truck [ that including alot of idleing time too]but really i hope that the restuarnt owner will go for 400 amp service soon

merci, marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard