ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 569 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#107669 08/16/04 06:13 PM
Ranger, did you see that Yext. cord in a Garriet Carter Catalog? I get those monthly. In the catalog there is usually a advertisement for a T-shirt. The shirt says, "I CAN FIX ANYTHING, WHERE'S THE DUCT TAPE?" One time the y-ext. cord and the shirt were right next to each other...
I'd love to see a guy wearing that shirt fix that Ext. cord!! [Linked Image]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#107670 10/03/05 09:55 PM
Bump.

#107671 10/04/05 10:35 AM
T
I've seen extension cords - 18-AWG zip cord home made ones held together with MASKING tape (the paper stuff).
A few drywallers I've seen had the cheapest residential grade extension cords ever made (Kopp discontiued that line at least two years ago). The cheap thermoplastic plug was close to no longer existant and they too had repaired it with paper masking tape.

I've seen two of those Y cords. One was at the home of a NYC friend of mine (taped to the extremely ugly dark 70ies kitchen paneling) feeding the cordless phone base station and some other lightweight stuff. The other one was at a teacher's office at Abraham Lincoln High School, Bklyn. Can't remember if it was feeding anything at the moment.

#107672 10/04/05 07:14 PM
those zip cords seem to find all kinds of scary uses for DIY'ers.. I've seen old zip extension cords with the end lobbed off doing duty for everything from dishwashers, garbage disposals, even once on a pretty beefy air compressor (drawing something around 15A if i recall right) the cheap of the cheap extension cords here which mostly seem to originate from China, and tend to find homes via "dollar stores" nationwide are probably our version of what Ragnar's Kopp ext cord is...

-Randy

#107673 10/05/05 01:03 AM
Y
FPE breakers: either they are held in by the deadfront, or you have to pry them off with a crowbar.

When I bought my house 7 years ago, I found a dimmer that was connected to the 10 AWG aluminum wiring using only scotch tape. No wire nuts at all!

Yeah, and it had FPE equipment, too. Built in '71. Now the service and sub are upgraded, and most of the branch circuits have been completely rewired. Only two Al circuits left, and they will be gone within a few months.

Tape on wire nuts:
In the old days of porcelain wire nuts, or any without internal springs, this was a good idea. It was to keep the wire nut from falling off. This is probably a reason most ECs stuck to solder and friction tape for so long. I can't say I blame them.

I agree with git r dun. If you have to use tape, there is something wrong with your technique.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard