ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#107568 09/09/04 11:48 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
(submitted via Joe Tedesco)
Motor lug # 1 and # 2 shows a pool motor, where someone install an aluminum lug on it. Their answer to me was that the lug was UL listed or CU/AL! I also quoted to them that as per 680.26 (C) all parts must be "...stainless steel, brass,copper or copper alloy."
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The next picture shows an inground pool motor wired with an extension cord with no connector. The pool was about 2 years old and we were supposed to do a "clean up" final inspection. There was also an indoor surge suppressor plug strip laying right next to the pool and the children were playing in the pool. The cords all went back to an extension cord that was draped over the house and was plugged into a receptacle in the back yard. I couldn't get a picture of it because the babysitter asked me to leave. I told her to remove the children from the pool before someone got hurt.

- Harold
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#107569 09/09/04 03:54 PM
E
All pump motors I have seen come with the copper bonding lug. You can see it on the pump in pic 3. I see it is unused. [Linked Image]

John
#107570 09/09/04 05:57 PM
F
now that is the disator is waiting for happending anytime

harold did you try to get ahold of the homeowner beside the babysitter try to scoot you out?? i will concat the homeowner about the sisuation asap.

i can see about first two motors but one thing it do bother me is what size the wireing on for motor grounding there ?? i know it should be #8 and if i rember the rules right [ correct me if i am wrong here] it should not have any splices at lug connectors at all and the wire have to be concouns with out splice along the way.

third photo show no ground wire for pump motor at all and i think this is very dangerous pratice myself i did see few pool and few hot tubs do the same ways and i am not comfotable with it. and do this system is procted with GFCI devices ??

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#107571 09/11/04 12:02 AM
H
Marc,

Yes I did get to go back and told the homeowner to get rid of that crap before someone got killed. They removed most of the old stuff and told me that would call me back for a final inspection real soon. That was about 3 weeks ago. HMM!? You think that maybe they forgot to call me back? Maybe they have closed off the pool till next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard