ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#107512 09/12/04 10:41 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I was asked to come out and install a new range circuit and these are a few of the other items I pointed out to the customer while giving him a price. I'll send more soon.

Non permitted addition was built up to existing meter. Meter is @ 7' + above ground.
[Linked Image]
Ground clamps used to tap conductors for addition.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Panel in addition:
(This was the panel I would have used to feed a new range) Since he did not want to make any of the necessary repairs to the panel or the taps I declined doing any of the work.

- Bill Robertson
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#107513 09/13/04 12:48 AM
N
Picky, picky, picky........ Just buggin, Good for you. If more electricians would refuse to work half-butted then maybe we would have better installs out there. Sad thing is SOMEONE will do it!!! and probably cheap.. I think you are good for the trade. More people should stand their ground..

Kenny Wilee
#107514 09/13/04 03:13 AM
E
e57 Offline
I wouldn't want my name associated with that liablity either. I wouldn't want anyone else's name to be either. Pic's #2 and #3 are a neutral loss fire soon. No place to start but over.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#107515 09/13/04 09:44 AM
M
Now this is interesting. I've never heard of "daisy-chaining" grounds before [Linked Image] - must be a new technique. In that main disco, double-lugging would be a vast improvement over the clamps [Linked Image].

Bad, bad homeowner!! I would be willing to suspect that he will eventually install his own range circuit. It would be interesting to see how THAT turns out.

Bill, you get two points for declining this job, and protecting yourself from liability/future litigation. The main thing that bothers me is...I hope young children don't live here [Linked Image].

Mike (mamills)

#107516 09/13/04 11:19 AM
W
Mike,
You and I can both sleep well for now! No one else but the homeowner lived there. He inherited the house from his father. Their are a number of other issues on the property besides this. I was very clear to him with the potential hazards his response was, "It has been like this for a few years" My guess is that it will stay that way until it fails.
Bill

#107517 09/15/04 05:49 PM
D
The parents of those little ground clamps must so proud of their babies doing such important work as actually carrying power!

I bet the manufacturer would be impressed. Maybe you should e-mail them a link!

Further proof that, while there may be a limit to human genius, stupidity continues forth unbounded.

Link Copied to Clipboard