ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ash,
The three 2.5mm wires attached have melted at point and appear charred.
I'm sort of guessing here, but wouldn't 2 of them wires feed a Ring circuit?.
Also, having a 2.5 on a 32A circuit is a bit rough (I'm talking about the extra wire).
Oddly enough we had the Wylex equipment here as well in the 1960's. [Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
Trumpy,

Yes, two wires on a 32A breaker would suggest a ring circuit. If i remember correctly, and i may not do, 2.5mm T&E has nominal current carrying capacity of about 24A, obviously reduced by insulation, installation methods and grouping, but IF they are indeed single circuits, then something is not quite right.

Also, when we moved in there was a discarded 15A rewirable fuse carier on the floor. The casing of the carier was destroyed through heat and flame (hense the discolouration??). So, what do we have here? Radials that should be on a 15A, or indeed seperated, or a ring and some radial? If a ring, why the 15A fuse??! Why the breaker installation without the base!? Its frustrating! I tell the 'electricians', they nodd, but its still the same. In my opinion, as this is rented student accommodation, the lot should be pulled, derated, and RCD'd. For now, all i can do is install a smoke above it [Linked Image]

The wylex brand seems to be well travelled, and i've seen it installed here in quite old installations, the "standard range" has had many incarnations. Hager seems to be a well travelled range also, is it originally a euro brand? My parants 60's semi-detached house has a clumsy old steel clad fuse box with porcelain cariers, made by "Prento", sounds italian??

Ash

[This message has been edited by LiveWireUK (edited 10-13-2004).]

S
Ummm...what's with the 13 amp plug lying on top of the panel?

Someone just left that there as a spare fuse carrier? [Linked Image]

A
Ash, as its bedsit accomodation it should I would have thought had to be inspected and tested at very regular intervals! No sign of test and inspection label on mains unit.
Are E/Lights and Smoke detectors fitted throughout? local authorities are pretty hot on this nowerdays. If your so concerned give them a call and ask some questions

L
SvenNYC - [Linked Image] LOL, don't joke, i am sure its been attempted! [Linked Image] It a fairly old one, notice it doesnt have the insulated phase and neutral pins.

I had a moments thought on that spare 5A carier on the top there and thought "hmm,, i just bet..." And as sure as, its fitted with 15A wire, looking slightly "tanned" [Linked Image]

aland - One would hope, but i don't really know what obligations and legalities apply here. Its technically just a rented house. They've installed two battery smokes, and as per the legisltation, its down to the tenants to maintain them. I've installed more and put in E/lihgts on the stair wells (tacked to the walls and running off a socket - the most i can do without breaching my contract).

!!UPDATE!! - I got a big sharp but polite telling off for poking my nose, but the letting agency have agreed, after taling to their electrician, that this needs fixing and will be RCD'd soon. Plus we're having the coin meters pulled. WooHoo!!! [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard