ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
How do you guys handle this? It seems I run into this all the time. People do not realize what a schedule is unless of course you bump THEM from it. It can be such a pain in the behind to try to explain to someone that you do not have time for their extra work. I try to accomodate but it is tough to fit it all in. I find myself just saying no more often than not.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 06-16-2002).]

Truthfully.
"Sir, I have another call that I have to meet. I can come back later."
"Eman", I feel for you, but in all honesty there is not an easy way to handle these situations. Just handle them the best way you can, and each situation is different. Good Luck.

"Oh, since you are here would you walk my dog?"

I swear that it happened.

Later,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
E
I would say it happens on about 50% of our service calls. Sometimes we can squeeze it in, but most of the time we set an appointment to come back and do the additional work later. Unless the customer is a jerk, we'll never just say no. We try to suggest other items they might want to do in the future like add recessed cans, just to let them know we do other work.

What I really hate is when you have a large job for a 3 man crew and the customer notifies you upon arrival that they decided to cut out 90% of the work, but go ahead and change out a dome light and dimmer. A call the day before would've been nice to give a chance to fill the time slot. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 06-16-2002).]

P
Yep, had one like this just a couple of weeks ago.

Call out was to move one receptacle to the opposite side of a fireplace and install a second. By the time I left, I'd also installed a weather-proofed outdoor outlet, disconnected a redundant heater and spent an hour tracing wiring on a thermostat to the furnace.

I guess I'm lucky in that with only being out a few days a week, I can re-arrange my schedule for work done at home. But it's still frustrating when you've planned to spend the afternoon getting paperwork out of the way and end up doing it at 1 a.m.

S
Eman, et all..
part of the problem is that customers have little to no idea how long some things take, so many times i will cue them in to 'that'll be an afternoon or morning' and watch thier expression*

*(body language...)

P
Or they want a 7kW electric shower added and helpfully point out that it shouldn't be a big job because there's a cable just on the other side of the wall. (Said cable being on 5A lighting circuit....)

Paul,

It takes some adjustment on my part to think of the words 'electric' and 'shower' going together. [Linked Image]

reminds me of an ECN "oldie"... (courtesy of Rick Miell)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-19-2002).]

Bill
A
This happend today, "while your here with the trencher, trench me some lines about 75 ft that way then head about 50 ft down the side and branch off about here and there so that I can get my irrigation pipe down... if you don't mind"

B
Bill A.-- Great photo, and all "famous blue diamond" {brand-Z} pancake to boot. What a jewel.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-20-2002).]

P
Bill,

That's one of the things I find strange on the IEE's stance here: They're happy to have an electric shower fitted right in the shower cubicle, but they won't allow a receptacle in the bathroom for a hair-dryer.

And please tell me that shower curtain isn't actually surrounding a shower......

Scott,

all "famous blue diamond" {brand-Z} pancake

Huh? Could you 'splain please? [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard