ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Was doing some general repairs at a school and walked by and seen this. Had to stop and do a double take This took guts.

Cheman6
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
so what does everybody think?

this was not photoshopped. this is the way I found it I have two other views if you would like tosee them.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by cheman6 (edited 12-13-2004).]

NIce huh this is the type of stuff I get to run into everyday.

[This message has been edited by cheman6 (edited 12-16-2004).]

D
Is that really 120V in that conduit? If it is, someone should be shot.

P
Yikes! It took a second for that to register in my mind as well. Surely it can't be? It is! [Linked Image]

I can't help wondering what this looks like on the inside of the building.

Any idea what those wires connect to?

S
As a person that spends most of his work days in public buildings... I hate to say it but I see creative wiring methods too frequently. [Linked Image]

I would suspect that a building maintenance person trying to save the school district a few bucks decided that he would "plumb" the water fixture instead of calling in a real plumber. And... obviously, once that worked... coversation probably went somethin like this: Administrator: "We need to run some wiring outside for this temporarily installed permanent equipment." Maintenance Man: "I know how we can save some money, let's use the same "hole in the wall" I used for the water line!" [Linked Image]

School districts as a whole are notorious for penny pinching and making more with less. Usually, maintenance people are overworked, underpaid, and have just enough knowledge to keep things running. This isn't the place to talk about school funding issues... but, it is in a sad state.

S
P.S. I almost forgot, I would likely consider this to pose an "Imminent Danger." We certainly cannot predict when a wiring fault may occur and energize everything in the building. [Linked Image]

OSHA definition of "imminent danger": "Any conditions or practices in a place of employment which are such that a danger exists that could reasonably be expected to cause death or serious physical harm, either immediately or before the danger can be eliminated through the procedures set forth in 1908.6(f)(1)."

This means death or serious physical harm may occur before an inspector could arrive and require the elimination of the hazard.

I hope the school agreed to pay whatever it costs to fix this mess. You should get a public service award for identifying and repairing the problem. [Linked Image]

BTW... Welcome to the forum Cheman6!

Edited to add imminent danger definition.

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 12-13-2004).]

P
so that's how you make water "HOT"! [Linked Image]

W
This has to be Photoshopped. I've seen some"creative" stuff but this is unreal [Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Phunny Photoshop is my vote.

W
If that's a copper water pipe in there, wouldn't it double as a grounding conductor?
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard