ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hey, We didn't even need to make a hole through the firewall.

Kent VW

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
The sad thing is I see this way to often. Some data guys just have no clue.
Al

I
Some of you may not recognize what that hole is.

That hole lets HVAC air pass through a fire wall, however the metal duct is a fire damper.

It is held up by pieces of easily melted metal, during a fire it is supposed to drop down and seal off the hole.

It only drops by gravity and the wires passing through will hold it open.

This may seem minor but it is not, smoke is the biggest killer in a fire, this damper was put in for a definite purpose.

IMO running wires through that hole is no different then disabling sprinklers or smoke detectors, it could very well cause death. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-19-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Iwire hit the nail on the head.

This building is a three story building around 112,000 square feet. All of the ceiling tiles had been removed as the entire building went out for bid for a new tenant. I brought my camera and shot 60 code violations. I could have taken hundreds more. The good news is that part of the bid is to get the building back into compliance.

( I am hoping that my proposal is accepted to completely replace the existing fire alarm system.)

[This message has been edited by kentvw (edited 12-19-2004).]

This is where I bring out my handy wire cutters...SNIP, SNIP, SNIP, SNIP.

Code violation: GONE!
Expression on data guy's face: PRICELESS!

[Edited to add the fourth snip!]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 12-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 12-19-2004).]

Stupid should be painful.
Iwire,
I agree with your comments on this one.
With an open damper in the ceiling, you might as well leave all the doors open in the rooms below as well.
The movement of super-heated air currents in a burning building, is a Fire Brigade's worst enemy, it just helps the fire spread.
GRRR. [Linked Image]

W
Some of you may not recognize what that hole is.

That hole lets HVAC air pass through a fire wall, however the metal duct is a fire damper.

The data guy probably thought it was an abandoned air ductwork. Maybe signs describing its purpose and a warning not to pass wires and such thru it posted next to it would help.

I'm surprised nobody has noticed the unsealed penetration around the electrician's unstrapped flex.

The data/comm guys aren't the only culprits here.

L
Greetings, I am new to this forum,but have been viewing it for some time. I work in IT BUT I also posess the MN Power Limited Technician low voltage license. Just to let you know I would'nt run any cable in this manner either,and would probably take a pair of cutters to it myself. It's situations like this that prompted Minnesota(where I live) to mandate licensing for low voltage installers. I do a variety of things in IT for my employer,from desktop admin to planning,layout,installation and repair of voice,data, and fiber cables.
I like this website,and enjoy looking at the violation pics. Whenever I feel I'm not doing that great a job installing things,I look at some of these pics and feel rather re-assured..
Sincerely
Low volt ham..

L
Just a follow up-I agree some datacomm people don't have a clue, and many in IT are highly specialized in one small area. Years ago, I worked with a co-worker on a project where I had to construct some special RS-232 adapters that needed resistors between some of the pins,I told her this and her reply was "what's a resistor?" I explained and she said"what's an ohm?" CLUELESS!! She could configure routers etc(so can I). These people should'nt go near any wiring projects.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard