ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#106701 02/04/05 10:29 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
hi and thanks i find your site very useful and informative, i was trying to post a few of these but was unable to do so, anyway they are at my workplace where they call me the cheif eng. owner wont fix all from chlorine damage and some other idiot twisting wires together i fired him promptly. feel free to add to your collection. The conduit is in the pool area out in the open the rest are behind locked doors i dont touch much metal down there dont think its grounded anymore. what do you think should i turn him in for my own safety.

thanks again,
Glastron
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#106702 02/04/05 10:30 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#106703 02/05/05 08:58 PM
Cat Servant
Owner won't fix?

Time for a new job. Time to call every AHJ you can think of...don't forget health dept and OSHA.

On the way out, disconnect everything. CYA

#106704 02/06/05 12:46 AM
A
Pull the main disco and shut off the gas ,then run for it (just joking).
I see a rusted gas pipe in pic #2,it may spring a leak at any time. If that thing leaks and get
ignited by the wiring,it will be...pretty ugly. [Linked Image]

#106705 02/06/05 12:55 AM
Rust, rust, rust as far as the eye can see!. [Linked Image]
I know I'm going to get shot for saying this, but shouldn't chemically-resistant PVC be used in such a wet area?
It has to be better than steel if it is just going to be eaten away.
Or even use steel but treat it with a rust inhibitor before it is painted?.
Glastron,
what do you think should i turn him in for my own safety.
I would say a definite YES to that question, this installation is in a dangerous state of repair. [Linked Image]
Any idea how old this installation is?.
BTW, welcome to ECN!. [Linked Image]

#106706 02/06/05 01:06 AM
G
renovated in 97 no ventlation is the problem
this is the second pool heater the wirenut mess and melted heater is on the whirlpool,wrong induction motor on the flue have had three bids at around 10,000 only thing you can use is conduit with two part epoxy paint.I'm gonna do something about this on monday maybe the whistle blower act will protect me [Linked Image]

#106707 02/06/05 03:25 PM
:
what's that meltdown in pic #4 ?

#106708 02/06/05 04:45 PM
G
whirlpool heater wrong inducer blower in the flue heat coning down instead of out flue,flue is full of holes from rust anyway

#106709 02/06/05 04:47 PM
E
e57 Offline
Is this or these rooms used to store pool chemicals, i.e the oxidizer known as clorine? Or is the pool itself vented into the room. You say some are in the pool area! Any which way, its time to start over there. Coated steel, might help, PVC is still going to have problems too. But solution seems to remove source of corrosion from wiring, or vice versa.

The owner issue is a call to OSHA, or AHJ. I'm assuming this a hotel or the like? Its a puplic safety issue...

The Job on the other hand is expendable. If he wont fix this, it's just a waste of time to stay there wearing hand-cuffs.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#106710 03/04/05 04:59 PM
Glastron & Gentlemen:

For what it's worth, this is one of the reasons the State of New Jersey instituted an "Annual POOL Inspection" about five or six years ago.

ALL commercial pools, meaning any pool other that a single family dwelling, MUST have an annual pool inspection. Permit required.

Attached to this law is a requirement for a Bonding & Grounding Certification, performed by a "Testing Lab" or a Lic. EC, stating that the bonding is within NEC requirements, and the grounding of all pool related equipment is intact.

A lot of people think it's a pain, but if it saves on life, or prevents one injury, it will be well worth the effort & costs.

BTW, as an AHJ, I can guarantee that the site in the pics would be shut-down immediatley. Repairs/replacement would be required by a Lic EC, and a permit & inspections/approvals before anyone used this pool.

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard