ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
e57 Offline
I sat in parking lot having lunch one day next to a CATV contractor getting his butt reamed about grounding by his supervisor. As I'm chomping on my sandwich, I over-heard how the guy was doing it, and how the boss wanted it. The guy was split-bolting to the GEC, or lugging to the main panel, so I'm thinking "Mmmm - Ok". His boss, gets irrate, saying that its too much work, just go to the nearest water, or conduit, I'm thinking "Oh man..." They start debating it, so I pick up my code book and sort of hold in view of the window open to that section, as I chomp on my sandwich. "Fastest - Cheapest, end of story" he finished with as he wrapped up chewing this guy out. Anyway, I feel for poeple in situations like that, when they know better than the boss.

This one in the pic, is at least better than some of the alteratives

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Bob,
The electrical contractor, not the cable company, is at fault here. The electrical contractor did not comply with 250.94.

Bill,
Look at FPN #1 to the above section.

Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
iwire Offline OP
Don I do not know if the install was done by the cable company or a sub. Either can happens here.

Capt Al may know. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
Bob,
It doesn't matter who did the cable installation. The electrical contractor did not provide the "accessible means external to enclosures for connecting intersystem bonding and grounding conductors" as required by 250.94.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I have Never Liked those ground straps. they make them in copper and galvanized steel. I usually use a meter pan clamp as in this pic. http://www.tselectronic.com/thomandbetts/sc51_1.html?tse_Session=b5765e6ac0fc8d723bddf5608b15a05b
They Can be installed as so the meter cover can be removed.

I
iwire Offline OP
Don right out of frame below the meter is an exposed EGC.

205.94(2)Exposed grounding electrode conductor.

But beyond that how would an EC know where the cable company will need this connection considering the electric service was installed years before cable TV was brought to the house?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
My eyes aren't what they used to be...but is that ground strap wrapped around a plastig hub?

Bill,
Look at FPN #1 to the above section.
Don,

That was what I had in mind, but apparently it was a totally foreign concept to the Utility representative.

Bill

Bill
R
Bob,
I don't see any exposed GEC. It appears to be in PVC condiut to me. Around here when the GEC is in PVC, there is no exposed GEC as the PVC is terminated below grade.
But beyond that how would an EC know where the cable company will need this connection considering the electric service was installed years before cable TV was brought to the house?

This service look fairly new and the code rule requiring an accessbile intersystem grounding connection point has be in the code for 3 or 4 code cycles. The code section only requires that this connection point be provided at the service equipment and at the service disconnect. Maybe, it really isn't required at this location, because I don't think that the meter is service equipment.
Don

Don

Don(resqcapt19)
C
Bob,
The electrical contractor, not the cable company, is at fault here. The electrical contractor did not comply with 250.94.
Don, I'm the EC here. This service was installed last year. I did comply with 250.94 (2). There is a bare #6 AWG exposed at the ground rod. It does not terminate underground. I also got the blessing of the local AHJ.
The meter is not service equipment. At the disconnecting means for the service, there is also an exposed #6 AWG that the cable guy could have terminated his grounding conductor to.
Also this strap was installed by a sub for the cable company. My house was done by a cable company employee. There is no strap ground. He connected to the exposed GEC at the ground rod below the meter. There is quite a difference between cable employee and subcontractor grounding methods.

Al

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard