ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image from nachi.org]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
That's precious.
I can't make it out but is ths an SE or sub panel? For some reason the installer chose to avoid using a possibly grounded neutral bar or it was isolated because it was a subpanel so he couldn't use it and didn't have a ground bar or lug to terminate to.
But is that a neutral bar bonding screw just to the right of the lug where the reidentified neutral is terminated, between that grayish wire on the far right and the white wire just to its left? If wo why would one terminal that bar copper ground wire where it is?
This looks as if this is a replacement panel from the wire splices on the left.

S
My guess would be that its a main panel with all AC cables and the installer just "forgot" to put in a ground bar and bonding screw.

As far as the sheet metal screw being used for that bonding ground wire lug, I use my "threader" tool and drive in an 8/32 bolt to attach a ground bar. What are some other methods that can be used?

I
A nut and bolt can be used.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
M
Good call Bob. So can a machined hole with a 10-32 screw. I do not think the code book prohibits using a washer with a machine screw, or a nut and bolt. Bet you though from looking at this mess that Joe is right on the money with this picture and it is a sheet metal screw.

Cat Servant
May I draw everyone's attention to 110.14 (A)?

As I read this, machine screws, even with a washer, would not be equivalent to the permitted "wire binding" head. Oddly enough, a "washer head," such as found on many teks screws, would.

110.14 already requires a "thoroughly good connection." I suggest the more specific ban on "sheet metal screws" serves only to muddy the issue, and should be dropped.

Y
Ya'know, ever since Greenlee came out with those 3-in-1 tap tools, it's easier than ever to put a machine screw into an existing cabinet. That's what I always do. I bought a wire brush drill attachment, because there is one inspector here who insists on removing paint. That's about it. I try to carry a ground bar or two on my truck. If I wreck out a panel, I save the ground and neutral bars-- no shame in reusing them for equipment ground. If you have the right size tap, and you can use it with a 3" extension and battery drill, there is no situation where you cannot use a machine screw, except possibly with masonry behind, and even then, 3-in-1 taps are cheap (go ahead and ruin one).

Y
I suspect the ban on sheet metal screws has less to do with any suspicion of an inherently bad connection than with the suspicion that some installers do not take full advantage of the torque clutch feature. That can be a problem with machine screws, too.

L
Those "3-in-1 taps" are thread chasers, not taps, andthey're not designed for fresh-threading holes, so don't be suprised if you snap one.

The best way to use one as a tap is to back it off several times per rotation. I'm a pro, and I know how do do something wrong the right way.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Cat Servant
One reason I am a little strident over the "ban" is that I feel a little bait & switch occurred here.

Prior to the ban, everywhere you looked there were pics of ordinary sheet metal screws- the ones with points, not drill tips- dangling from oversized holes. The sort of application where NO fastener would ever work.

Once the ban was printed, all the seminar wonks went on a crusade against the "teks" screw- or even ANY screw that was not green, with a hex head.

I don't believe the ban would have passed had there been an open discussion of the "teks" screws.

As it stands, the ban only gets us sidetracked into side issues, and possible conflicts with 110.14. We already have torque specs in the code- that ought to ensure good enough holding power.
Moreover, many panels have their covers secured with screws that grab little stamped pieces of sheet metal- wit a thickness far less than a single thread. These variations on the "speed nut" seem to hold quite well- another set-back for the machine screw crowd.

Link Copied to Clipboard